Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 18, 2004, 6:53 PM   #1

Default epson 2200 and monitor calibration

Im as close as i can be to buying an epson 2200 from amazon.com.... I do not want to spend a lot of time and money with a monitor calibration program. Will i still get decent prints with just calibrating my monitor with the program that comes with adobe cs?

Rich
Ohio D Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 18, 2004, 6:56 PM   #2

Probably, yes. But it everyone's definition of acceptable is different.

The 2200 is a very, very good printer. The only three downsides I've heard are that you have to switch between inks when printing Matte vs. Glossy, the inks are expensive and you can't print beyond 13" wide (I believe.) For many people the last one doesn't matter.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2004, 8:34 PM   #3

on the price of ink i pay an average of $9 per color.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2004, 9:11 PM   #4

where do you buy your ink?
Old Apr 26, 2004, 10:52 PM   #5

I buy ink at B&H. If you have an Apple (I got a G5 a few months ago) there is a bit of an annoying glitch in the Epson drivers for the 2200 - when your switch between the mattes and photo black, you have to eliminate the printer in your utility and add it again. To answer the original question, I have used my 2200 on a PC and Apple monitor with great color match using only the monitor calibration.
fporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2004, 11:37 PM   #6

If you don't want to spend money on a decent monitor calibration tool, then I would adjust my monitor to my printer. Print out some test prints, and adjust your monitor until the color on the monitor looks about what you see on the prints. But beware, if you edit images then they do not match anyone elses monitor anymore. Thus this is not ideal when you want to upload images to a website, for example. It is also not great if you start using different types of paper.

Personally investing in a Spyder was one of the better things I did. Now I know that what I see on the screen is pretty close to the real colors of the picture. But I'm pretty picky, it all depends on how critical you are :-)

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2004, 6:36 PM   #7

Are there any good inexspensive monitor calibration programs available? Say under $100.00?
Old Apr 27, 2004, 8:29 PM   #8

The spyder is the cheapest I know of. It comes in two packages. I believe the hardware is the same, the only difference is software. I have heard that you should get the more expensive of the two, but I don't remember why.

I don't know the price, but it has come down in the last 6 months or so.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2004, 9:10 PM   #9

Eric, Interestingly enough, Tim Grey (photoshop guru extraordinaire) recommends the less expensive software with the Spyder for most people. I bought the more expensive but got both software options with it.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2004, 12:53 AM   #10

I have the cheaper version of the spyder. It is sufficient for my needs. BTW, the spyder is not just software, it comes with a hardware device that you attach to your monitor. It measures the light output from the monitor. The whole calibration process takes about 10 minutes or so.

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote