Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 22, 2004, 11:40 AM   #11

I aslo have canon 300d This error message started whilst on holiday - I removed battery and restarted and the message occured again after about 10 shorts. I cleaned the contacts, tried new battrey, cf card, but from time to time still get the message. I am using the lens that came with the camera. Phoned the Canon UK helpline today and spoke to the (Romanian!!!!) Call centre they say to send it back to be repaired.......
amanda40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2004, 2:35 AM   #12

I bought a 300D kit less than a week ago and first noticed the "err 99" on my Tokina 28-210 lens, which I kind of understood because I had heard that these older lenses might be incompatible. But then I tried a less-than-year-old Canon EF 90-300 USM lens and had the same problem. Just to top it off, the 18-55 lens that came with the camera also had the same problem. Now that I have looked at this page I will contact the dealer and see what they will do to fix replace the camera. Hopefully it is the camera at fault and this problem won't come up again once resolved.
gadgetboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2004, 11:00 AM   #13

Err 99 here also. Shoot about 200 pics with it and the kit lens will not work anymore. This was a refurbished 300D with 18-55 lens. I have a 28-105 USM and it works just fine. But 5 days after getting my hands on the camera, the kit lens will not work (mecanical sound "grrrr" when powered on or lens installed). Called the store and said to send the lens back (bought camera on eBay). But that might take 8-12 weeks...
PC_Pal68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2004, 11:54 AM   #14

I too have fallen victim of hte 'err 99' message. I just bought it and I got one message after about 40 pics. I have 2 weeks to return. I am trying to figure out what to do. I have another really good thread going. Check it out.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=9839788

You comments will be greatly appreciated.
srg158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2004, 9:45 AM   #15

Hi, another ERR99

occurred when refocusing after having aimed the camera at darker areas and holding the release button halfway. And only when doing this. In parallell, the battery indicator showed, that battery level was low, even after inserting and replacing and recharging my both original Canon batteries.

After exchanging the Microdrive to a normal CF card, there was no problems any more and the 'low level' battery lasted for ever, 2 days of shooting, no problem.

So it seems also the Microdrive can cause ERR99. At least I hope it was nothing else.....:?
petrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2004, 9:31 PM   #16

Hi, I'm new to this forum, but as worried as the rest of you. I shot more than 7,000 pictures with my 300D using the kit lens, a 70-210 Tamron and a 170-500 Sigma without a hint of a problem until a couple of weeks ago. Now I'm getting "error 99" messages constantly. I've tried all of the remedies I've read about here and on other forums -- removing/replacing batteries, cleaning contacts, replacing/reformatting CF cards, etc. Thankfully, the camera is still under warranty. BTW, the error messages occur on ALL the lenses, not just the third-party lenses.
jazzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2005, 3:26 AM   #17

yes this is very close to my problem. I was taking pictures with my canon 420ex external flash...no problem. I removed the flash so I can shoot with just the factory installed flash. I took about 10 pics with it. After that an err99 messages appears. I think the problem is with my shutter. I tried taking the battery out, formatting the card, removing the lense and trying another one. I also cleaned the connections and still I have the err99 message. After all of this I removed the lense and lifted the flap inside and then snapped a photo. It seems to me that the shutter does not lift up to capture the light and image(s). The mirror lifts up but not the shutter. At least it seems not to be. I know it doesnt move that fast. Anyhow do you or anyone have any idea of what kind of problem I could be experiencing? I am in desperate need of help. Thank You!!!!!!!!!!!
datkodac05kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2005, 4:12 PM   #18

I took my 300 in for repairs when I none of the remedies mentioned here worked. The whole shutter mechanism had to be replaced. Thankfully, the camera was still under warranty. Since then, not a single error 99 message (knock wood). Good luck.
jazzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2005, 4:58 PM   #19

I know it's already been stated but I might as well chime in.

I just bought my rebel xt and tried a Quantraray 70-300 lens I've had for about 6yrs and I got the same 'err 99' message. It worked a few times and now wont work at all.

In the owners manual it says the 'err 99' code is non-canon lens attached.

I ended up buying a new Sigma 70-300 to replace the Q-ray and it works fine.....so far.....
overkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2005, 9:44 AM   #20

Err99: I went through that for a period of time. Problem got worse as time and use went on. Had to turn-off turn-on frequently. Sent camera to Canon. Standard price to even look at the problem is approximately $200 includes shipping. Had to have shutter assembly replaced. Working fine now. If camera is in warranty do not wait to send back to canon. It'll cost you later. Experience!

Something tells me that Canon is not "fessing" up to the Err99 issues with the Drebel.
Ctrack is offline   Reply With Quote