Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 24, 2004, 12:55 PM   #1

Default Canon EOS 10D and 'err 99' message

Hopefully someone can help me out here! I recently purchased the EOS 10D and was having a great time with it until this morning. I attached the Sigma 105mm 2.8EX macro lens to it, and all was ok for a few shots. Then for one shot, the shutter sounded funny, and an error message was displayed 'err 99'. The camera would not work until I had removed and replaced the battery. So I tried again, and the same thing after a few shots. And again. And again...
I changed the lens to the Canon 28-135mm and all was fine. I have used other Canon lenses with the 10D and all appears to be fine.
So, has anyone heard about this and know what the problem is? Is it a camera error, or a lens compatibility issue?
I live in England and bought the Canon from the US, so I probably have no warrnty here either.
I'll make sure my next posting is on a more positive note!! Thanks
pstubbs50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 24, 2004, 4:07 PM   #2

How old is the sigma lens? Some sigma lenses need to be changed to work with canon bodies. Canon does not (or people won't pay for it) license their lens mount like nikon does. This means that they have to reverse engineer the lens mount.

This results in new camera bodies coming out that break some lenses.

Another possability is that the lens was not on all the way or wasn't seated well.

Search for "99" on this web site, I recall this topic coming up before. And as I recall, the answer was one I didn't expect.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2004, 11:43 PM   #3

As a camera store guy, I have had several customers come to me with this problem, and I have talked to Canon about it. Err 99 stands for a lens communication error. I have the Sigma 105mm f2.8 EX macro as well, and it works wonderfully. I would have to assume that since your body works fine with other lenses, that the microchip in your Sigma lens needs to be replaced. If it is still under warranty, call Sigma and they should rechip the lens for you with you only paying for shipping.
Gandalf065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2004, 4:43 PM   #4

I get exactly this problem with my EOS 300D and the SIgma 135-400.

It only happens if the lens needs to stop down, it shoost just fine on wide-open f/5.6. Moreover, if I manually set a small ap and press the DOF Preview button, the iris doesn't close.

Looks like it's the old Sigma Versus Canon problem - I just hope I can find a way to get Sigma in the UK to update the lens.
ccomley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2004, 6:51 PM   #5

Just had this ERR 99 problem. I have a relatively new Digital Rebel with a Tamron 28-300mm Ultra Zoom XR lens, probably have taken about 1500 shots. Tried changing batteries, new CF card, removed and replaced lens, still continue to get ERR message. Found nothing about this problem on Canon's firmware update page.

Has any one found solution?

Frazier

Frazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2004, 5:40 PM   #6

Err99 on the Canon EOS Rebel or EOS10 is not always a lens incompatibility message. On mine the problem was the shutter. I Lifted the mirror and saw the shutter had closed in an impropper way, I simply flicked it into place and all was well.
Tony Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2004, 12:19 AM   #7

Error 99 from what I've heard and experienced is a message that comes up when the camera cannot specifically isolate the problem. For instance, my Rebel's battery grip was loose and I received an error 99 for the first and last time since then. In other words, error 99 could be a whole lot of things from major to extremely minor, as in my case.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2004, 11:01 AM   #8

OK I have just joined the Error 99 club. I tried removing the battery as suggested in the user manual, but that did not fix the problem. After reading some of the postings in this forum which mentioned s/w conflict with the lens aperture, I decided to try switching the program dial to "Av", and the problem dissapeared. Has not come back since. Weird. I think "error 99" is Canon speak for something serious happened but we have no idea what.

James
GumbyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2004, 3:06 PM   #9

I have EOS 300D and only one lens 18-55mm zoom included in the kit. Err 99 comes even with that. It occurs about once per 10 shots. Camera needs to be restarted, no battery removal needed. I have taken about 1500 shorts now.
arivain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2004, 7:52 AM   #10

I had the Error 99 message, figures out that my CMOS chip was damaged so it had to be replaced, and you know what the culprit was? My Sigma lens, I shot at a low shutter speed (1/10 approx) and it froze until I removed and replaced the battery. I hope this isint a problem but only happened to me.
blackcat1134 is offline   Reply With Quote