Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 28, 2004, 12:13 AM   #1
KSS

Default EOS 10D Rumor?

Now that I am contemplating a new camera purchase and one that I am looking at is the Canon EOS 10D. I just heard today that this camera is being discontinued? Has anyone else heard this? Should I still consider it?

KSS
KSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 28, 2004, 1:01 AM   #2

Default Re: EOS 10D Rumor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSS
Now that I am contemplating a new camera purchase and one that I am looking at is the Canon EOS 10D. I just heard today that this camera is being discontinued? Has anyone else heard this? Should I still consider it?

KSS
It is inevitable that it will be replaced/upgraded. When is not known but is being speculated by many. It's still a great camera and will be even after it is replaced. A 1957 TBird was replaced but it's still a great car.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2004, 1:19 AM   #3

I would have expected a new model to be announced before Canon officially discontinued the 10D. However the model is about 2 yrs old, and I guess that's the lifetime expected for a digicam.
Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2004, 2:46 AM   #4

The Canon 10D has only been on the market since March 2003.
Snappers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2004, 8:35 AM   #5

When I tried to get my 300D, I also asked my local shop about a 10D. They told me they couldn't get any more, and they are an authorized Canon dealer. I wouldn't have believed them had that not been the case. They didn't try and sell me anything else either, so I figured that must either be the truth or they were just tired of answering the same old question.
FSUScotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2004, 10:44 AM   #6

Snappers - while the 10D has only been out for 12 months, the it replaced the D60 after only about six months of the latter.

It's a nice parlour game trying to guess what's next, I wouldn't think that anything new will come out before September. The summer time isn't a good time to launch new products, but the Rebel was released in September and I think the D60 came out in the early fall as well.

My guess is in September we'll see a replacement. I'll guess even that it will use the 8MP sensor off the mk2 to differentiate more between it and the rebel. It has to drive the product managers of the 10D and 300D batty all the posts about "10D vs. dRebel". A better buffer may be a more worthwhile upgrade but I think that the megapixel wars will push them to an 8MP sensor.

As to FSUScotman's point about scarcity of the 10D, I've heard that before. My guess is that they're limiting production so as not to get too much inventory in the channel before an upgrade AND the are diverting production capacity to the 300D.
ursa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2004, 5:07 PM   #7

Replacement will be announced any day soon... as I have just got my 10D!! The truth is I dont care about the replacement, I have a well proven camera with well discussed "issues" that are well sorted. I would be reluctant to go for a new model with new 8MP censor and all that that entails. I hope the 10D will keep me entertained for at least the next 4 or 5 years before I get the itch to change. For me the decider was that every day I saw missed opertunities to take pictures, so I went for the one thats available now (although VERY difficult to find).

The difficulty in finding a 10D was explained very well by the man at Badger Graphics, "we just sell them as soon as they come in ". It appears that Canon simply can't keep up with demand.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2004, 8:57 PM   #8

I agree that the 10D at this point is just hard to keep in stock for Canon USA dealers. The Ritz central warehouse for MD/VA/DC area got about 200 of them about 10 days ago, and as far as I know, this afternoon they had about 30 left.
The demand for this camera is just very high, even as old as it is. I for one, absolutely love mine!
Gandalf065 is offline   Reply With Quote