Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 28, 2004, 10:31 AM   #1

Default Digital Rebel or 10D Sensor Cleaning

I am interested in knowing how many DR or 10D owners out there have had to clean there sensors? I don't have anything showing up in photos (even in the clear sky) but if I do the so called 'dust check' (shoot a white wall at F29 and then do auto levels in Elements), I can see a lot of dust on the sensor. Since it hasn't show up yet in photos I am not worried about it just yet (and frankly I question the validity of the above check). However I am wondering how many have had to do this.

I guess I would ask these questions.

1. How long have you owned your camera.
2. How often do you change lens.
3. If you have cleaned your senors, what method did you use (i.e. bulb Blower (such as a rocket air), swabbing, sending back to Canon).
4. How often have you cleaned it.

WJL100
WJL100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 28, 2004, 11:00 AM   #2

1. Since January
2. I change lenses quite often
3. I use the mthod detailed here: www.pbase.com/copperhill/ccd_cleaning
4. About every 2 weeks, give or take.
Hope that helps!
Gandalf065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2004, 5:14 PM   #3

Never cleaned my sensor so far (its a year old). But I do have the Copperhill tools in house, in case I need it.

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2004, 6:11 PM   #4

Owned the cam for 9 months

Change lenses frequently

Never cleaned the sensor
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2004, 6:56 PM   #5

I have 10.000 exposures in a year of use. I was forced to blow out a big chunk once cause it showed up in a stopped down macro shot. Yes I know that there is other dirt in there but I don't see that well. I also have a dust collection under my monitor! It doesn't seem to bother me either.
Tomsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2004, 10:35 PM   #6

I'm with Ohenry. Change my lenses frequently. I guess if I go looking for dust spots I'll find them (take a picture of a blue sky at F22 or so). But in my normal pictures I don't see it.

I do also own a Giotto Rocket Blaster http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...91118&tc=photo. It's great for blowing dust off lenses and the sensor. If you use it on the sensor be careful, its pretty powerful. Thanks to NHL to point me to this wonder!

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2004, 11:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsch
I also have a dust collection under my monitor! It doesn't seem to bother me either.
Do pictures of dust bunnies go under Wildlife or Other?
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2004, 3:55 AM   #8

1. 6 months
2. average once or twice per outing
3. I shot some macros stopped down and found some annoying dust spots. I tried the rubber spatula based method because it seemed sensible, (or is that sensorable). That got most of it. Later the proprietor my favorite camera store said it's no big deal just use some quality cleaning fluid and a clean, tight Q-tip; so I did. That got more of it. Works for me, easy, quick and safe as far as I can see.
4. several times at initially, since then only once. seems to stay pretty clean, though I haven't shot any stopped down macros lately.

there is one very stubborn spot, I know where it is on the image but I'm not sure what sector of the sensor that corresponds to. Either I am concentrating on the wrong part of the sensor or the dust is under the glass AA filter. What would I do then; run it through the dishwasher?

David Y
Amateur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2004, 12:45 PM   #9

1. How long have you owned your camera.

about a year....for the 10D
2. How often do you change lens.

weekly, sometimes daily

3. If you have cleaned your senors, what method did you use (i.e. bulb Blower (such as a rocket air), swabbing, sending back to Canon).

I used the baby noise sucker/blower...:-)) but it works
4. How often have you cleaned it.

one a month...
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote