Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 29, 2004, 10:08 AM   #11

I think I'm missing something. Are you sure the dust isn't on the outside of the view finder... exposed to the elements. That is easily reached with a q-tip and isn't harmed by cleaning this way. I've had that get diry and need cleaning.

Just to be clear, I'd never stick a q-tip into the camera body to clean anything. Never.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2004, 10:15 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric s
I think I'm missing something. Are you sure the dust isn't on the outside of the view finder... exposed to the elements. That is easily reached with a q-tip and isn't harmed by cleaning this way. I've had that get diry and need cleaning.

Just to be clear, I'd never stick a q-tip into the camera body to clean anything. Never.

Eric
Yup, the dirt is not on the outside of the viewfinder. Of course that was the first think I checked and cleaned. The dirt is on the lower surface of the viewfinder prism which is above the mirror, tucked into a little niche which is nearly impossible to reach.

Canon makes special tools for this? I sent an email to Canon support to see what they have to say about it.
mrc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2004, 1:22 PM   #13

Just called canon support. Got a rep within 30 seconds of calling!

He said Canon does not provide any tools for cleaning the inner viewfinder and recommended either of 2 actions:

1. Send it to Canon for them to clean it - about 2 weeks turnaround + mailing time.

2. Take it to a Canon dealer to see if they'll clean it right there in the store.

I live on a small island so visiting a Canon dealer involves traveling by boat or airplane (e.g. a PITA). So I'm going to explore some DIY options and report back later.
Old May 5, 2004, 8:51 AM   #14

barthold wrote:
Quote:
Couldn't you make your own little cleaning tool out of some thick metal wire, which you can get at any hardware store?
I received some eclipse and pec pads in the mail. Used an X-acto blade to cut a small wedge shaped block from an eraser. Hooked a paper clip into the wedge for a nice 90* angle handle. Cut a strip from a pec pad, wrapped around the wedge, added 2 drops of eclipse, and wiped the interior viewfinder screen.

After 4 applications, it's clean. Not perfect, but clean enough to not be annoying anymore.

Cheers,