Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 28, 2004, 1:55 PM   #1

Default cleaning the viewfinder?

My sensor & mirror are spotless. But my viewfinder is grungy. The dirt is inside, underneath above the mirror which is very hard to reach.

I tried a blower, didn't remove the dirt. So I tried lens paper with canon lens fluid, now it's much worse - all smeared.

The angle is so bad it's about impossible to reach. Any tips on getting this thing clean? Are there 90* brushes or anything like that?
mrc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 28, 2004, 3:12 PM   #2

Welcome to the club ! LOL I have a mess of dust and nothings worked to get it out... I'm hesitant to remove the lens mount and screen alltogether to clean it..... actually not sure if possible to remove the focusing screen on the 300D .. well with any easy and not damaging anything in the process.....
mrkryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2004, 3:24 PM   #3

use this to blow out all the dust, but do not use it on the sensor, for the sensor, use the baby's nose sucker...

http://porterscamerastore.com/Mercha...egory_Code=C1D

Use it to clean the mirror and lens, it will leave no smear, guarrantee 100%, I ve use it for so many years, this is the only one that's really works: formula MC cleanning fluid:

http://porterscamerastore.com/Mercha...egory_Code=C1D

Cheers
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2004, 4:38 PM   #4

Thank you BUT....

I have the cleaning fluid & lens paper. What I don't have is the ability to reach the viewfinder to clean it. It's tucked up in the camera in a little nook above the mirror which will require a swab with a short, tight 90* "L" bend in it.

Is there such a cleaning swab? I can't find one anywhere. All the internet cleaning info seems centered around the sensor & mirror. The viewfinder is a lot harder to reach and nobody seems to talk about how to clean it.
Old Apr 28, 2004, 5:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkryz
Welcome to the club ! LOL I have a mess of dust and nothings worked to get it out...
Thanks for the welcome. So your advice is just live with it... The dirt is not showing up in the pictures, so I could actually live with it if I had to.

But it is quite annoying to see all that grunge in the viewfinder. I was hoping there would be some kind of funky tool that would make it possible to clean it.
Old Apr 28, 2004, 11:40 PM   #6

I actually found that the cheap-o lens cleaner you buy in about any camera store ($5 for the lens cleaning kit) sucks. It leaves smears. What does wonders on my lenses is Eclipse cleaning system. This comes from the makers of the pec-pad.

Couldn't you make your own little cleaning tool out of some thick metal wire, which you can get at any hardware store? Tape the end of a Q-tip to it.

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2004, 1:01 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by barthold
I actually found that the cheap-o lens cleaner you buy in about any camera store ($5 for the lens cleaning kit) sucks. It leaves smears. What does wonders on my lenses is Eclipse cleaning system. This comes from the makers of the pec-pad.

Couldn't you make your own little cleaning tool out of some thick metal wire, which you can get at any hardware store? Tape the end of a Q-tip to it.
Yup, that Canon lens fluid does a great job on the lens & mirror but it sure smeared up the viewfinder prism.

Thanks for the "tip" LOL. I was gonna make my own tool with a bent paperclip handle but I was afraid a cotton Q-tip might scratch it... sounds like you're saying it won't.
Old Apr 29, 2004, 1:07 AM   #8

Im not sure if he understood you meant reaching up inside the SLR to clean the view finder... DO NOT USE A QTIP! The focus screen is textured and it will leave little strands of cotton fiber everywhere...
mrkryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2004, 8:37 AM   #9

Quote:
Im not sure if he understood you meant reaching up inside the SLR to clean the view finder... DO NOT USE A QTIP! The focus screen is textured and it will leave little strands of cotton fiber everywhere...
Yup. So how do I clean it?
Old Apr 29, 2004, 10:08 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrc01
Quote:
Yup. So how do I clean it?
Camera store sells cleanning tools such as the cotton swapsand other professional tools (that do not leave anything behind, cost a little bit more)... that you can use to reach the difficult areas. If any of these things leave the cotton filber behind, you can use the air pressure can to blow them away. This is not the issue, the real issue is, you use the cleanning liquid thatleaves the smear and residue behind. Use the MC formula fluid, and you take care of that problem.
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote