Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 2, 2004, 7:55 PM   #1

I have a Digital Rebel and am am looking at the Sigma 28-300/3.5-6.3 DL IF Hyperzoom lens. I have a Promaster 28-105 now but really need more zoom in some situations. I thought about the 70-300 lens butIreally need lower than 70 on the low end.

Does anyone have any experience with this Rebel/Sigma combination?

Thanks,

Gary
garyalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 3, 2004, 6:27 AM   #2

I have a Canon 35-135 and a Sigma 135-400.

The latter works fine... so long as you want the iris wide open. Any setting which requires the iris to close down, the lens ignores the request from the camera and teh camea locks up with "ERR99" requring a reboot to recover.

So if you're looking at any Sigma lens, make very sure you try it ON YOUR OWN CAMERA before you buy.

ccomley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2004, 8:59 AM   #3

ccomley, you should contact Sigma. I bet that problem can be fixed. Canon changes their lens mount for almost every new body. Either they don't license the design & communication protocol or no one wants to pay for it... because of this they reverse engineer it and when new bodies come out they don't always work.

One thing that Nikon does well... people license their lens mount design and non OEM lenses don't have this problem.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2004, 9:38 AM   #4

I am using a Sigma 70-300 APO zoom and have not had a problem. It works fine and I am happy with the results. I will recommend you use a mono-pod. It will add a lot more stability to it ( a tri-pod will work also but a mono-pod is easier to move around).
k1par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2004, 9:46 AM   #5

Yeah - I'm trying to find out ATM what the UK contact for Sigma is.

I have heard they'll update lenses in the US - the implication being outside the US they may not. We shall see...

Old May 3, 2004, 6:48 PM   #6

It might be too late to get it done for free but they had better do it.

I would be very unhappy with them (I hold grudges against companies... its the only way to make them act more responsible and treat people better. Which is why I don't buy SanDisk CF cards.) I thought Sigma was better than that.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2004, 11:02 PM   #7

Thanks for the replies. I'm a little more hesitant now given the issue above so I'll definitely try before buying.

Thanks again,

Gary
garyalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 4:55 PM   #8

I realise this is a LONG delayed submission - apologies - but I thought it worth adding that I returned the 135-400 to Sigma and they rechipped it so it now works fine with the 300D (DRebel) - cost was about £30, which was mostly for insured return carriage.