Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 2, 2004, 11:19 PM   #1

Wondering what works best (fastest) in Writing Mode in Your Experiences-Real World Usages?

Lexar 40X WA-Sandisk Ultra II-Sandisk Extreme?

Ted

theophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 3, 2004, 12:15 AM   #2

Well, I don't have the DRebel, so I guess this isn't "real world" experience. But from what I've read, the SanDisk Extreme II will be faster.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...e.asp?cid=6007

It looks like the difference is minimal, though.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2004, 10:06 AM   #3

I was told by a Canon Tech-rep that I know that the 300D/Digital Rebel will accept these high speed cards but you cannot tell the difference between them & the regular ones. (Someone out there correct me if I am wrong). This is one reason why a friend of mine who just got his first DSLR chose the Nikon D70 over the 300D - the fact that Nikons accept high speed CF cards. Something I think Canon NEEDS to address.
Railfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2004, 4:08 PM   #4

I have the D-Rebel and the difference is so miniscule it's not worth contemplating. I sold my high speed ones and got the regular ones for about 2 to 1 because of the price difference.
xtaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2004, 6:47 PM   #5

Canon could make this better if they chose. The parts are out there. The reason they don't is to differenciate it from the higher end models. They want this to be part of the reason you buy the better camera.

It is one of the few things that bugs me about the 10D... the 9 picture deep buffer. I hate it when I run out of shots when the eagle flies right over my head.

Eric
Old May 4, 2004, 9:48 PM   #6

Thanks All for the Recommendations!

Ted
Old May 4, 2004, 10:42 PM   #7

I don't know about the Canon tech rep, but from my experience AND backed up by the numbers from Rob Galbraith's site, anyone who thinks the D-Reb doesn't benefit from the Sandisk Ultra II vs. Sandisk standard is plain wrong.

From the site, write speed of 4 RAW to the Sandisk Ultra II 512 MB CF is 1275 K/second.

Write speed of 4 RAW to the Sandisk standard 512 MB CF is 736K/sec.

That shows a more than 70% increase in performance. I don't now about you, but 70% increase in performance isn't anything to sneeze at. Consider 4 average sized RAW pics at around 5.5 MB, filling the buffer. Taking the numbers, you are talking about 29 seconds to clear the buffer vs. 17 seconds!

Anyway, my real-world experience (I have both reg and Ultra II Sandisk) shows that indeed, buying better cards are worth it, especially if you shoot RAW.

Now, that being said, looking at the number differences between the cards listed...there the difference is indeed minimal. And again, my real-world experience tells me this as I also have a 512MB Lexar 40X...and in a blind shoot test I can't tell the difference (although currently Sandisk Ultra II costs my about 25% less than Lexar...so therein lies the defining difference to me! )

As for Nikon performance, yes, it is true that Nikon's performance WILL benefit more from faster cards (4000+ K/second vs. 900 k/second Ultra II vs. Standard...4+ times the performance!!!), but it doesn't mean that the Rebel doesn't benefit somewhat.

Graeme
Graeme Shiomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2004, 6:18 AM   #8

Thanks Graeme!

Just found out that Lexar had a price drop and the 512mb 40X Wa Compact Flash at B & H is only $99! Think I'll go for it!! Besides, even if the "current" DRebel doesen't make full use of all that speed, Future Upgrades Should and I'd be Ready for 'em !!!

Ted
Old May 5, 2004, 1:40 PM   #9

Without getting into the speed issue, an often overlooked CF card that is a solid performer and fast is the Transcend 45X. It usually runs cheaper than either Lexar or Sandisk. I have two of the 512 cards that I bought from NewEgg for around $100 each with free shipping.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2004, 8:09 PM   #10

Graeme Shiomi,

While I agree with everything you said, I want to point out that you are comparing a kids tricycle to a F1 sports car. The "standard" sandisk is either 1x or 4x (there were two models.) The Ultra II is much faster and much more expensive... I'd guess the Ultra II is somewhere in the 40x range or higher. It isn't fair to compare those two cards.

The question was if its worth buying a very good card (the 40x Lexar) or the best card out there right now (SanDisk Ultra II.) Thanks to Rob G.'s site (and what a great resource that is!) he shows the difference is minimal and will probably not be noticable to all but the most picky speed aware people. (For example, I see the difference between my 512 40x Lexar WA vs. my 1G 32x Lexar WA on my 10D. But only when replaying. When taking the picture don't see it.)

Eric