Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 3, 2004, 1:24 PM   #1

A while ago I was required to shoot the workings of an idustrial glass furnace. I got some great shots. I also took some shots looking directly into small openings of the furnace - these are designed for technicians to check the furnace status, they look through specially tinted glass. At the time I didn't think I just shot directly at it. Of course, I didn't spend any time metering through the lens and for obvious reasons the shutter was only open for 250th of a second with an extremely small aperture (32). I was standing back about 10 feet.

I didn't actually look through the lens when taking the shot either but what I'm wondering now is: was there the potential for damage to the sensor or any other part of the camera? It still takes great pictures. But I wonder if I affected anything permanently.

I'd really appreciate your comments. By the way,great site as always Steve.
event is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 3, 2004, 2:41 PM   #2

I wouldn't think so, but I'm no expert on this subject.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2004, 10:37 PM   #3

The light emitted doesn't include any sourcethat could cause damage to the sensor or optics(UV filter present). I'd be more worried about arsenic from the furnace on my skin/clothes/camera
mrkryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2004, 9:15 AM   #4

---The light emitted doesn't include any source*that could cause damage to the sensor or optics(UV filter present)---

But what about the heat?

So far the lack of panic-response is encouraging!
event is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2004, 9:42 AM   #5

Unless the plastic is melted you're ok.. LOL Incidently if your hand managed to tolerate the heat for the few moments that you snapped the pic then the camera did too
mrkryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2004, 1:05 PM   #6

Naw - yer OK. Wouldn't suggest shooting Lasers though. If things get REALLY warm you might start losing a few pixels from Spillover on some shots. Generally there shouldn't be any harm done.

Like someone else said, I'd be more concerned about Offgassing than the heat. Water in your system has to reach 212° on the surface before it vaporizes. You would have dropped the camera by then.
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote