Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 7, 2004, 4:41 PM   #1

I bought my 10D about a week ago and have shot about 50 or so pics in different conditions. I have been using a Canon 28-80 3.5-5.6 lens with Tiffin skylight 1-A filter.

The first shots I took were indoors. They were acceptably clear with the built-in flash, but obviously it lacks range. Still, sharp enough to prove that there is not a focus problem.

The ones I took outside were VERY disappointing. I'm well aware of the focusing issues on the various boards, but feel that most problems seem to be user-induced. And I believe that to be the case for me too.....

.....the problem is that yesterday I took some shots in the garden. It was early evening, very sunny, and certainly sufficient light (some would say perfect). The ISO was set to 100 and I used an AV setting of F8. For some reason, every shot was blurred. I didn't think to check the shutter speed at the time, but in so doing after seeing the results this morning, I found that they were all shot at 1/10 or 1/15. Clearly, there's the smoking gun, but given the light available, I'm unsure why the camera chose such a slow speed.

Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong........

Thanks.
sjcornish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 7, 2004, 6:31 PM   #2

Sunny F16 Rule: Full sun at ISO 100 1/100 sec at F/16...F/8 would be 1/50 sec...and that's FULL sun. Early evening, 1/15- 1/30 sec is not unusual at F/8 and ISO 100. I think your problem is too slow of a shutter speed for handheld shots. Increase your ISO or shift to Tv mode and shoot at a shutter speed that you can capably hand hold wihthout camera movement.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2004, 8:32 PM   #3

remember too that you need to multiply the focal length by 1.7 to use the 'at least 1/focal length shutter speed' rule of thumb. If you were at 85mm, that's equivalent to ~ 135mm so you'd need to be shooting with a shutter speed of 1/150s for blur free hand held shots.

ohenry - maybe I'm tired but I think you're mistaken. Opening up the shutter from f16 to f8 should mean the shutter speed decreases from 1/100 to 1/200. Right?

regardless, in the evening you'd have a lot less light than under the noon sun, ISO 100, f8 and 1/15 sounds about right.

sjcornish - if you meter off of the grass in the garden you'll get an idea what the correct exposure settings need to be. Grass is about the same tonality as an 18% grey card and your camera's meter is designed to properly expose that grey card.

If what you're shooting isn't the same tonality - say macro of a white flower, use the exposure lock - * - button and lock in a reading off of a better subject than recompose. AE lock is the best feature after auto focus.

The thing I love about digital is that with the EXIF data you can easily see the settings and determine what went wrong and how to improve next time.
ursa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2004, 9:16 PM   #4

You're right Ursa....I wasn't thinking clearly .... but that's nothing new.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote