Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 10, 2004, 11:03 PM   #1

If so, how do you like it? Was it what you expected? I received mine, but I am not a professional yet, I bought a camera I could grow in to. So I would like a professionals opinion if the Mark II lives up to all its hype.
Numbersqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 10, 2004, 11:21 PM   #2
Administrator

I just recently posted the conclusion to our Mark II review, give it a read:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_...d_mk2_pg7.html

It's definitely a winner
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2004, 8:53 AM   #3

What a camera to grow into...

From all I've read, people like it a lot and it certainly does all that they said it would.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2004, 8:45 PM   #4

Hi again. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a book that would teach the more professional fuctions of a digital camera. I am taking a course now, but I would like to learn as much as I can as fast as I can. I have looked at a few books, but most are real basic for point and shoot cameras. I need to learn more about the fuctions so I can use them to take better pictures. Thanks!
Old May 12, 2004, 11:52 AM   #5

I'm not sure what you mean by "professional functions". Could you give us an example?

It should be stated that most of the people here (including me) are really just amatures, but many are very knowledgeable amatures (with a few pros mixed in.) So this might not be the best board to ask some questions, we are a good group and will try to answer (especially if you ask nicely and appreciate that we are doing this on our spare time... that we choose to help others because it's part of our nature.)

Eric
Old May 12, 2004, 12:22 PM   #6

Numbersqueen. Pro camera for a Non-Pro? Naw. You are starting off whith a Dynamitte camera! ! I agree with what Eric said. I consider what he says, along with NHL & OHenry to be VERYhelpful information to ANYONE who is out there.

Tip #1. Set the camera to the Largest Jpeg size & put it on Automatic (for now) & go out & start shooting. The more you use a camera, the more you will get used to it or get the "hang of it". Then come back & look at your images on your computer & see what you did - right or wrong. Use it as much as possible - shoot mostly on clear days, & when you sorta get used to it, go out & shoot on what I call a bright cloudy day. Bump the iSO up to either 200 or 400. You will be surprised what these new DSLR's are capable of doing!

#2. When it doubt, read themanual. Mine stays in my camera bag. Then ask on here.

Best of Luck to you!

David

Railfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2004, 4:44 PM   #7

Well...that has done it for me! I apologise to all you die-hard film users, but for me, the quality of those pics, and the amazing camera specs has put the last nail in the coffin lid of film photography for me. I am now in the market for a Eos 1d Mk11.
Freefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2004, 8:13 PM   #8

Thanks to you all. I do very much appreciate all the advice I get and read on this site. It was because of the people in this forum that I purchased the Canon 1d Mark II. I sit back quietly and read other topics and posts and try and learn as much as I can. I am a newbie to photography. I have alot to learn about depth of field, aperture, focal points, white balance, color temperature, etc. I have read the manual and unfortunate there is alot of information in it which is like learning another language. (like the stuff I mentioned above). I am taking a small photography class locally to try and grasp it a bit. Trust me, you all seem like professionals to me. Again, I appreciate all the advice and help. I hope I dont annoy you with questions that may seem stupid.:-)

oh and I do practice, all the time. I have taken over a hundred of pictures in 4 days, just practicing on anything I can!
Old May 12, 2004, 11:44 PM   #9

The question won't annoy us if its reasonably stated and you've tried to find it out yourself first. Eventually we wear out on people like that.

Enjoy the camera. I wish I had that one, that is for sure. But the 10D is enough for me right now, and instead I'm saving up for big glass. Cannon 600mm IS!

The thing that really threw me with digital is white balance. I'd never heard of the concept before photography so I was really confused by it. Try to read about it, and look at some different pictures. Its a question of what the color of the light is and how it effects white things. Not all light is "white". Some lamps have a blue or yellow tint to them (of course, there are others as well.) You're eyes get adjusted to it but the camera can't do that so it will give things a color cast that they shouldn't have. You look at the picture and think "that isn't what it looked like!" but since your brain adjusted to the lighting you didn't see it that way. Or you're just used to that odd lighting.

Eric

Old May 13, 2004, 7:11 AM   #10

I do appreciate all the advice Eric. I am taking courses and I am learning alot every day. My big rush right now is to make sure I have the right equiptment while in my 30 days from purchase.

When I bought the camera, I had to buy a lens and memory without having the time to research it. I thought I had more time, but when I came back from a 2 week vacation, the camera was in.

Memory sticks, lens and flashes are very expensive, and I would be really upset if I bought these items and found out I really needed something else or it was notas good as I could have gotten. Thats the reason for all the questions right now. Once I am sure my equiptment is right I will concentrate on how to use it and experiment.

I now know the memory stick I bought isnt what I want, and the lens isnt either. The only advice I had when buying these was from the sales person. My flash is in and I will be picking that up today. I cant tell you what kind of flash it is, cause again, the sales person just ordered for me telling me it was the best.

When I say best, I meaning at least equalproformancetomy camera. I do not want to buy cheap accessories with cheap proformance when I have a good proforming camera....it would be a waste.

I own three business, they mainly deal with granite, marble, tile and quartz products. This is my speciality. I put together all the advertising brochures and information packages. I have been using a point and shoot camera for over 10 years. Unfortunately, they did not pick up the colors exactly or the details of veining and fissures they way they were in these products. This can be a problem when youradvertising a color variation in a slab that looks completely different when you actually see the slab.This is why I boughta SLR camera.

So again, I do appreciate everything, I do not mean to upset anyone with my questions.The response from Madwand on my Lens posting was kind of what I was trying to avoid. That is why I started private messaging a few select people. I know I am lucky in the fact I can afford these items, but I do not take that for granted. I do plan on learning all I can and one day, being able to have an intelligent conversation with someone like yourself about the ins and outs of photography :-)