Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 12, 2004, 9:55 PM   #1

I've tried to study polarizing filter recommendations for my standard Reb 18-55 mm lense. When Iresearched a Hoya catalog I found seven choices in 55 mm circular polarizing filters. They come invarious colors from all points of the globe - I have no basis to choose one over another. Thought I would take the easy way out and buy the Canon branded filter - they are on backorder.

I do lot's of travel and my big annual project is to produce 150 copies of a 13 page calendar with a full 8 1/2 x 11 color photo for each month

Request a specific recommendation (with a stock number if possible) as to what polar filter I should buy. Any brand will suit me.

:idea:

After a few more days of reading and thinking, I am leaning toward a B+W 58 mm MRC circular polar, 66044840. This filter sells for $93.50 at B&H. Any thoughts??

Lyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 15, 2004, 5:18 PM   #2

I can't say for anyone else, but Im sure most of us probably do some Adobe after the picture is taken. If I want the sky to be a little more blue, I just change the saturation level of skywith the blue hue chosen. Or anything else you need to adjust can be done with adobe fairly easily. But thats me. If you really insist of a filter then, Ive always purchased Tiffen filters. They seem to be just fine to me.

UniSonBBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2004, 6:19 PM   #3

Thanx for the input. Strangely enough, I've just spent the entire day working on an Adobe tutorial. It's going to take a few more days before I am comfortable with this full featured program. I'll certainly try your proposal before I invest any money. I'm retired so I have lot's more time than money.

Lyle

Old May 15, 2004, 7:02 PM   #4

PS will not give you the full effects of a polarizing filter as it won't replace many different filters at this time. people try and just end up messing up a perfectly good image that would have been better just using the right equipment. fixing it in the mix doesn't work all the time.

a standard tiffen HMC polarizing filter will do the job Price is about ~$64 free shipping. these prices have gotten a little scary lately do to the exchange rate issues. you want to get the multicoated which reduces flare and internal reflections hence HMC. depending on your largest or planned largest lens diameter that is the size you should get then stepdown rings for the rest of the sizes. don't go nuts. B+W make very fine filters but their not that much better that you should buy a filter that costs 30% more for schott glass and a brass ring where it makes no real world difference. example standard hoya HMC in 77mm ~$140 vs Hoya Super HMC thin (if needed like on my 17-40 for vignetting)~$201 vsthe B+W MRC at ~$195. in the case of this size the B+W MRC is a steal in the thin range. lucky me i bought mine a year ago. mine was a Hoya Super HMC thin with no front threads at substantially less monitary output.

http://www.2filter.com good place good people

sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2004, 9:10 PM   #5

Thanx for the very helpful, detailed input. I don't think you contributors fully understand how much your comments mean to a rookie like me. By the time I get my next Social Security check I'll be ready to move.

Lyle
Old May 17, 2004, 10:05 AM   #6

sjms, I'm new at the filter thing as well. I went to Filter Connection and also found a couple of polarizers that were a lot less money. One by Moose and a Sunpak.

Is there something about the more expensive ones that makes them worth it? I'm a rank amatuer and only take pictures to make me happy, but I don't want garbage either. :?
FSUScotsman is offline   Reply With Quote