Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 13, 2004, 11:21 PM   #1

Now that the 1D is discontinued and the price has dropped a good bit I wonder if I would be better off with it's 4meg sensor, because of it's larger size, than the 1D's 6meg?
csnudelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 15, 2004, 3:18 PM   #2

We can not answer this question without knowing what you will do with it.

The 10D is a more all-around prosumer level camera.

The 1D is a sports/journalism camera.

What type of photography will you do? And be specific!

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2004, 5:07 PM   #3

I was directing my question only to the sensor size, both megs and physical. My understanding is that all things being equal the larger, physically, the sensor is the better the quality of the photo. Here all things are not equal, 4meg vs 6meg. Even so, would the larger sensor of the 1D render a higher quality photo than the smaller one of the 10D?
csnudelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2004, 9:51 PM   #4
NHL

This is an apple/orange comparison... the truth is the older 1D sensor size is not that much larger than the 10D! Its crop factor is 1.3x vs 1.6x and in this case the 10D edges out the 1D in resolution, there's not much noise in sensor of this size so it's hard to find any fault with the 10D.

With all that said however the 1D is a professional caliber camera with 8 frames per second shooting rate until its 21 frame buffer is full. The 1D also has the best auto focus coverage of any digital camera other than the Canon 1Ds which the 10D can never approach! BTW it also has a higher shutter and flash sync speed than the 10D.

... Bottom line you're comparing a slightly better image quality (10D) vs speed (1D) as Eric said.

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2004, 10:15 PM   #5

Lets not forget that the 1D's AF system is also much better (beyond the better coverage of the AF points.) It will AF out to f8 and has high percision AF points with f4 lenses (instead of f2.8 lenses, which is what the 10D has.)

The 10D's sensor and noise reduction tech is also newer. So it might have lower noise than the 1D. Have you checked the reviews that Steve did? I'm sure he has pictures to demonstrate the noise.

Oh, another thing is that the 1D is fully waterproof (I believe.) So you can shoot in the rain. Assuming your lens is waterproof

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2004, 12:16 AM   #6

Good question.

I think that the 1.3 vs 1.6 crop factor is slight butsignicant. it's nicer at the wide end and not so nice at the telephoto end. If the wide end matters more to you, as it often does to me, then you might like it better. E.g. a 17mm would be 22mm effective vs. 27; 20 -- 26 vs 32, 24 -- 31 vs 38, 28 -- 36 vs. 45.

The 10D doesn't have interchangeable focusing screens, which makes manual focusing more difficult than it used to be.

Without interpolation, the 1D captures enough pixels to print 10.4 x6.9 inchesat 240 ppi, whereas the 10D does 12.8 x 8.5 inches.
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2004, 6:23 AM   #7
NHL

I tend to agree with what Madwand said and much prefer the lower cropping factor for my wide angles as well but in this case the 1D also works against you since you would want more resolution for landscape shots and not less. You're getting a double bonus instead with the 10D at the tele:
1. Effectively a longer lens for less (cost more to get the same result on 1D)
2. A higher resolution picture in a smaller cropped frame (crop the 1D to 1.6x and you get even less)

However if you're covering sport or news events there's a higher possibility to get the shot right with a spot-on AF with the 1D than a 10D since these images usually do not need to be enlarged to wall sized print anyway in most cases.

:|
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote