Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 15, 2004, 10:42 PM   #1

Purchasing the Canon EOS Digital Rebel next week. just found out that my almost new Sunpak 5000 Zoom Flash for my Canon EOS SLR is not compatible. Can someone reccomedn a couple of flashes to choose from? Thanks very much.
usmc325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 16, 2004, 7:43 AM   #2
NHL

Well everyone will probably recommend you a couple of Canon flashes, but one of your option is the Sigma EF500DG Super... It could be had at the same price that you would pay for a 420EX, but has the same power and features of the higher priced 550EX:

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/html/news/500dg_super.htm
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2004, 9:29 AM   #3

Coming from a place of ignorance on Sunpak, I just wanted to make sure. It doesn't work in ETTL on the DRebel, or it doesn't work at all? I would have expected TTL to at least work....

I've heard from some people that the Sigma NHL listed works well, and others say it always misses the exposure by 1/2 to 1 stop (always in the same direction, but not always the same for different people.) So while I won't say "don't get the sigma", I would suggest getting it some place you could return it if you were not happy.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2004, 10:18 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies. The unit currently works fine on my Canon EOS Elan 7E. I gave a call to Sunpak (TOCAD) when I was first considering the Rebel Digital and they said the unit was not compatible. Was I given correct info? :O
usmc325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2004, 10:35 AM   #5

Interesting offering from Sigma. Here's some more information on it (n.b. most of it is about a slightly older version):

http://photonotes.org/reviews/sigma-ef-500-super/

I regret buying the 420ex because of its lack of manual and FEC capability with the 300D, but it would be usable as a wireless slave if/when I get the 550ex or the Sigma...
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2004, 10:46 AM   #6

Quote:
It doesn't work in ETTL on the DRebel, or it doesn't work at all? I would have expected TTL to at least work....
I hear that TTL requires a sensor that's not present on the 300D, so the Sunpak could only be used as a manual flash.

The following article also shows again that Canon-Canon compatibility is not guaranteed. If you're worrying about future Sigma compatibility, consider that too.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/EDR/EDRA6.HTM

Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2004, 10:49 AM   #7
NHL

Eric

We've been through this numerous times: the problem with under/over-exposures have nothing to do with the flash units themselves (Canon or Sigma).

The issue have always been with the preflash metering that theses digital cameras used instead of prioritizing by distance (which is fixed in the E-TTL 2). ie if there's any thing overwhelmingly dark or bright in the background, the Canon's default evaluative metering will pick it up and wrongly set the exposure.

One way to adddress this inherent problem is to use the *FE Lock (Flash Exposure Lock) which only uses the central metering area, and the other by FEC compensation.

http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-f...ttllimitations
Old May 17, 2004, 8:02 AM   #8
NHL

For folks who already bought the 420EX, you can also use the Sigma EF-500 DG Super as a wireless flash controller:

@ the same cost as an ST-E2

BTW if anyone is thinking about using a Canon Off Camera Shoe Cord 2, forget it! This remote cord doesn't apply to the digital EOS it will just force your flash to be compatible with the older "B" bodies...
Old May 17, 2004, 10:13 AM   #9

All I will say is that these same people (the ones having the trouble) claim they got a Canon flash and the problem went away. Now did they get better (so it was them, not the flash, that actually improved?) possible, but they were already professionals so one hopes they knew what they were doing ahead of time. Did they change something in what they were shooting so the "situational effect" that caused the improper exposure went away at the same time they switched flashes? Maybe.

But I've read it a few times, from a few different people. So I don't thinkI can just write it off as "they all weren't doing the right thing". And all of the posts I read about were not users of the DRebel, so unless other Canon cameras(they were all Canon, so the lack of using distance is a good point) switch the metering mode when using flash I don't believe we can write this off in the way you describe.

For what its worth, I don't think "we" have been through this numerous times. I've only mentioned it a few times, and I don't recall you giving a reason why my statement was wrong. Maybe I missed it? I certainly read a lot of message here (as do you.)

Thanks for the note on that flash-sync cord. I'll probably get one in the next several months (when I build an off-camera flash mount) and I didn't know that incompatability.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2004, 10:12 PM   #10
NHL

At least once even with Canon's own flashes (ie not Sigma):
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...&highlight=FEL
... and the above photonotes.org link on E-TTL and EOS digital cameras went through this as well.