Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 16, 2004, 7:09 AM   #1

I am thinking of upgrading to a DSLR from my current Sony F717. I also use a Canon ELAN II for film. The Elan II has a feature that i can use with my 550 flash called second shutter sync. Does the D Rebel have anything like that?

One more thing. I am still interested in film photography and doing some experimentation. I just lack the patience to wait for the prints to come back to see how they turned out. What I am thinking is using the D Rebel to do the experimenting, then if the outcome is something I like, I can duplicate it with the Elan.

Any help would be great.

Dave Porter
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 16, 2004, 7:28 AM   #2
NHL

headhunter66 wrote:
Quote:
The Elan II has a feature that i can use with my 550 flash called second shutter sync. Does the D Rebel have anything like that?
... This feature is set on the 550EX independent of the camera.

Quote:
One more thing. I am still interested in film photography and doing some experimentation. I just lack the patience to wait for the prints to come back to see how they turned out. What I am thinking is using the D Rebel to do the experimenting, then if the outcome is something I like, I can duplicate it with the Elan.
Why? IMO as you gain confidence in the Digital Rebel, you'll pack the Elan away... (and the Sony)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2004, 12:34 PM   #3

Immediate feedback is probably the best thing about digital, and pros have done this sort of thing for a long time -- using Polaroid film, and now sometimes digital. Polaroid was not generally usable as a direct substitute, but digital often is. A specific example is using a large format film camera -- you're not going to get that sort of resolution from digital any time soon affordably, and exposure on large format is costly. Ken Rockwell talks (on and on) about this...

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/filmdig.htm

I've also heard mention of people carrying/using film cameras for wide-angle work because of the digital crop factor. This is not an issue at the high end of digital cameras (the Kodaks or 1Ds), but usually not an option. This is one "gotcha" with the 35mm film + digital approach -- the images are not going to have the same field of view (except where you correct that by zooming). Another "gotcha" is that film, especially negative filmand print processing, is going to havedifferent exposure and colour characteristics.

That said, if you like working with film, then enjoy! I am thinking of adding an EOS film camera to my 300D for the wide angle, and also to get a jump on how my lenses would work on a full-frame camera (which, n.b., may or may not happen -- full frame digital is not that successful, and magnification is useful). The main problems with this are that it's bad enough carrying around one camera and its accessories, and it takes long enough to shoot with it. Adding another camera, especially one that requires film scanning, does not make the process simpler. But if I liked the results, or simply the camera mechanics themselves, then I certainly would go out with just a 35mm film camera sometimes (when my back is not up to carrying the 645).
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2004, 5:18 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies, they do help. As for getting rid of the Sony, it would be hard but that would be fine. Actually, the wife likes to use it for the video recording anyways, I guess she can have it.

Dave
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2004, 6:35 AM   #5

Headhunter-

As for "second curtain" flash - the 300D can be set to use it. Basically, second curtain flash shows headlights without the "beam" projecting forward on car headlights for example. First curtain flash, allows the "beams" to be visable in the shot. There are other examples and lots of threads discussing this- just look it up.

The 550 will work perfectly with the 300D.
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote