Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 16, 2004, 7:46 PM   #1

I have a Canon 28-90 EF Lens that came with the purchase of my wife's Canon EOS Ti. Would this EF lens work with the Digital Rebel? I just don't want to purchase the 18-55mm Canon Lens if this one will do the trick. Thanks.:?:
usmc325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 16, 2004, 11:04 PM   #2

Your 28-90 will work with the Digital Rebel, but it will be like using a 44-144mm lens on a 35mm camera in terms of coverage- great for a telephoto effect but none too wide. You have to multiply all the focal lengths by 1.6 to see what the approximate coverage on a 35mm camera would be on a Canon DSLR, even with the 18-55 EFS lens that comes with the Digital Rebel. The 18-55 lens on the Digital Rebel will show virtually the same angle you now get using your 28-90 lens on the Rebel Ti.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2004, 7:44 AM   #3

USMC -

The "kit" lens is specifically designed for the 300D and is designated as EFS not EF.

The lens WILL NOT WORK ON ANTY OTHER CAMERA (at this time). Basically the reason being the lens elements are back closer the the sensor, projecting back into the camera. However, because of the design, it gives you true 28x55.

The lens costs about $250.00 if you buy it separately. At a $100.00 extra, thats a pretty good deal. It is not "L" quality, but it does give you VERY good shots.

Nice "back up" lens, as it is small and light weight.

Your choice of course
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2004, 8:39 AM   #4

Greg and Setiprime: thanks so much for the responses. I am ordering the Digital Rebel this week and I have been attempting to do as much homework as possible so as to minimize duplication and unnecessary expense. I do have a SIGMA 28-200 Aspherical IF lens that I am currently using on my Canon EOS SLR. I called SIGMA, and they said if I send the lens in, they can make a free adjustment to allow it ot work with the Rebel Digital. ANy thoughts on this? Thanks again for all your advice.
Old May 17, 2004, 12:03 PM   #5

USMC-

No help in that area. I learned a LONG time ago, Canon glass is well worth the price. If I can't afford it now, then I save up 'til I can.

People buy "Less Expensive" (cheap) glass, then wonder why their camera doesn't perform well. I learned the hard way, and I'm not dumb enough to repeat the same mistake.

Either way ....good luck to ya'.
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2004, 12:16 PM   #6

Many have sent in Sigma lens in to have the chips replaced so that they will work with the DR. Good PR on the part of Sigma. I also noticed that www.circuitcity.com has dropped their price to $899, which includes the kit lens.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2004, 4:53 PM   #7

The problem of wide-angle coverage on such DSLR's is a tough one to solve. Wide-angle lenses are difficult to make, and they're typically not cheap. On 1.6 multiplier cameras, a 24mm is 38.4mm effective; 28 is 44.8; and 18 is 28.8.

The 18-55 kit lens is not an extraordinary lens. Its build quality is not great. It's sharpness is not great. However, it is a cheap solution to the wide-angle problem where there are few that are affordable. I'd recommend getting the kit lens for that reason.

If however your photography has no need for a wide angle (e.g. you have no need to shoot small rooms), then I'd suggest dropping it.

On the other hand, the wonders of Photoshop and other software tools can effectively compensate for many of the flaws of such lenses, producing what would be in many cases impossible-to-achieve results from such cheap lenses.
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2004, 12:47 AM   #8

Thanks very much for the info on Circuit City. However, by the time sales tax is factored in, it still pays for me to purchase the item online by about $80. I did send my Sigma 28-200 zoom to Sigma today. After speaking with their technical dept., we are talking about a free upgrade that will take about two weeks in turnaround time. Thanks again for the help.:|