Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 20, 2004, 6:25 PM   #1

Can anyone in the fourm tell me if they use either the Canon 550ex or the Sigma 500 Super DG flash with there Digital Rebel or 10Ds. I know the flashes work in e-TTL but I am wondering if you can use either of these in a manual mode (non-e-TTL)as well, simlair fashion to one of the SunPak units? I know you can't with the 420ex, that it is alwasy e-TTL but sometimes, I suspect that you may not want to do flash work that way. Any thoughts.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"WJL100
WJL100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 20, 2004, 7:34 PM   #2
NHL

Quote:
I know the flashes work in e-TTL but I am wondering if you can use either of these in a manual mode (non-e-TTL)as well, simlair fashion to one of the SunPak units?
1. Are we talking about the Guide Number (GN) divide by the distance here / ratio control?

2. Or are you refering to the camera set to manual mode with the flash set on Auto, using the photocell on the flash, which neither the 550EX or the Sigma EF500DG Super units have?

3. There's also a mode where you are still on E-TTL, but manually overide the camera metering through FEC (Flash Exposure Compensation)

Which one(s) ???

:?:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2004, 9:49 PM   #3

I was talking about #2 mainly. It is clear that neither of these flashes can operate in a non-e-ttl mode. I was hoping for the best of both worlds as I am between one of these flash units and say the SunPak models which do operate on auto but not on e-ttl. I am aware that you can do FEC on the 550ex and over ride the camera.

What make/model of flash do you use NHL?

Thanks for the reply.

WJL100
WJL100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2004, 10:21 PM   #4
NHL

I have an older Metz 45CT-5 from my film days which operates in Auto, mode 2 above (ie without E-TTL). This is one of those dual-head strobe where you can bounce 1 head and 1 direct which is quite flexible and can provide a very even illumination for portable application. You can get them used for a reasonable price.

This is a manual for a more current and newer unit (which does not have a rear LED panel):
http://www.metz.de/en/service_suppor...ownload.74.pdf

I'm also quite familiar with the Sunpak 544/555 as well...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote