Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 21, 2004, 2:40 AM   #1

Hi, I'm getting into wedding photography and for a number of reasons am deciding between the KonicaMinolta DiMage A2 and the Canon EOS Digital Rebel kit w/ lens and extra battery. The Minolta has 7x optical zoom and anti-shake. The Canon has an optical viewfinder and extra battery. For the time being I'll only be using the on-board flash and no accessories. Anyone with knowledge of both who can recommend either one? Thanks.
wongpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 21, 2004, 7:37 AM   #2

Get the Rebel. They're some who will say that neither camera is suitable for shooting weddings. But if you're serious and don't want to miss any shots. Get the rebel. If you can afford it get the 420ex flash too.

Before I realized how serious wedding photography was, I actually entertained the idea of shooting a wedding with my Nikon 5000 digicam. I now have a Canon 10D and I consider it the minmum quality camera that I would use in shooting weddings. Another thing, get at least two 512mb compact flash cards. Don'tusea single1Gb card because you need redundancy if one card fails. Shoot any tricky lighted scenes using the raw mode. GOOD LUCK!

Bill
wsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2004, 9:03 AM   #3

I concur with Bill. The DR will provide you the ability to change lens for different shots and that will be important. You will need to allow yourself some learning time to master the camera. I have had mine for a month and 1300 shots. I think I am familiar enough with the camera to start serious shooting. I am going to shoot a Polo event this weekend.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2004, 10:01 AM   #4

Gibson,

I hope you have good weather for the event. What lens are you using? Are you shooting jpeg or raw? If you haven't shot a forma event before this will be quite a learning experience. It's not the same when you're just shooting verses when you're "really shooting".If you have a wide format printer you're going to love the results! We want to see some poster quality shots! Good Luck!
Old May 21, 2004, 10:53 AM   #5

I am going to be shooting with the Canon EF 28-135 USM IS lens. This event is held by the American Cancer Society. I am donating my time and pics to them. Tommy Lee Jones is bringing his polo stable from San Saba Texas to play against the local club. He is donating his horses, all expenses and himself to the event. I will post my pictures after Sunday. My plan is to shoot at shutter speed of 500, ISO 200 and White balance set to sunny. Any suggestions are welcomed.
Old May 21, 2004, 12:14 PM   #6

If you have a longer lens and it's pretty bright you might want to switch to get some really close-ups. Otherwise the only thing I might change would be to shoot at ISO 100 if there's enough light. If you haven't got good at it make sure you can do quick reviews using the magnification factor on the LCD screen. This will let you know if your focus is sharp. I'd stick with the 28-135 mmfor most of the event. Try to anticipate the action and then shoot in the continuous mode. If you do it just right, you'll get a spectacular shots. Bad thing about it, if you get a few really good shots as a result of the continous shot mode it willmake you want to upgrade to the MarkII.
Old May 21, 2004, 12:23 PM   #7

Thanks for the advice. I will take about 20 test shots at various settings before I start the real shooting. I saved my change over the last two years waiting for a DSLR that would meet my price range. I already started my change saving for the next upgrade in a couple of years. My only hope is that when I upgrade I can use the same lens. I already told my wife I want a long zoom L lens for Christmas and my birthday.
Old May 23, 2004, 3:13 PM   #8

Okay, what happened at the POLO meet? I hope you got some goods ones. Post a few once you get then sorted out.
Old May 23, 2004, 5:10 PM   #9

Thanks very much to the two of you for your advice. Gibson, I'm curious -- how did you land the polo gig?
wongpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2004, 7:22 PM   #10

apples and oranges. there will be a noticable difference in the way you will shoot. the DOF on an A series camera can't be compared along with the control of it. the rebel offers a somewhat greater then the A camera. but in exchange for this you will be making multiple purchases of lenses and you will find items like the popup strobe is pretty much limited in what lenses it can be used with due to their size. you will spend more on outfitting the rebel overall. i own a 1Ds and that cost me into 5 figures to outfit when i made the analogue to digital change over. the i own an minolta A1 as a quick field trip camera. going back and forth from the 2 is not a issue. there are many other differences that can span a few pages. the basic question is do you want an all in one or a system based camera? they both have their place and they are both cameras
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote