Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 21, 2004, 2:09 PM   #1

I'm an amateur photographer who is hoping to really start diving into the ins and outs of the photo world now that I finally got my 300D the other day. My first step is trying to figure out the best method of working with my photos.

Here's what I have to work with other than my camera and Canon's software:
  • Windows XP: Home Edition [/*]
  • Photoshop Elements 2.0 (I have CS at work, but I can't afford a copy for home) [/*]
  • Adobe Photoshop Album 2.0
This is what I've figured out so far:
[/*]
  1. When I'm going to download my pixs from the camera I use XP's Scanner & Camera Wizard.
    This allows me to create and select the folder to download the images into & (and here's the key) it allows me to quickly rename the photos by adding a date prefix to them. [/*]
  2. Once on my computer I import them into Album and tag all the images so I can easily find them at a later date.
    This program also allows me to edit the photos using Elements, creating a copy and then an edited version so I always have a copy of the original. [/*]
  3. I figure that every month or so I can make a contact sheet and burn the originals on a CD so I always have the "negatives."[/*]
This is all well and good, and I'm pretty happy with this system. Especially since most of the photos I take will be taken in a setting where I really don't need to advantages of the 300D's RAW files.

But here's the thing, I'm not sure what to do with the RAW files when I do take them. Since no Adobe programs other than the expensive Photoshop CS work with the 300D's RAW files, I believe that in order to do anything with any RAW files I have to use Canon's clunky File Viewer Utility first to convert it into a TIF. It's only at that point that I can do anything in Elements or import it into Album.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Is there a better way to organize my workflow. I've had my camera for three days now and I've spent more time trying to figure out a good system than I have taking pictures. I don't want to have to reorganize everything three months from now when I have 1000s of picture to deal with.

I'm particularly interested in hearing from those of you who don't have Photoshop CS. Do you even take many RAW photos? Have you found a quick or cheap way to convert the RAW files? Or have you just resolved to wait until Adobe releases some 300D support?
enkydu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 21, 2004, 2:44 PM   #2

You are correct- Canon's RAW converter is REALLY bad. The best solution out there, hands down,is Capture One by Phase One. It is so good I almost shoot everything RAW now. Gives me the opportunity to go in later and determine the best white balance setting for tricky lighting and I can go back any number of times and create TIFF orJPEG files, color or black & white & never affect the original.

You see the image in a preview pane, and each change you make is displayed instantly in the view. No nasty re-calculations and several seconds (over and over again)to see the end product like you have to deal with using Canon's own software. Capture One LE is what I purchased. You can fix one image, set it up for processing & move on to another image, and you can do this for up to 20 images before you have to process the files. The batch processing abilityis really nice. I think I paid$99- a purchase well worth the price. I wasusing Photoshop Elements 2.0 to process all my JPEG files & still use it with my scanned filmnegatives, but Capture One is a complete system for processing RAW files into finished JPEG or TIFF files and will completely change your thoughts about shooting RAW.

One additional plus in working RAW filesthrough Capture One- In Photoshop Elements 2.0 I noticed I was losing some of thedata originally captured by the camera in my JPEG files, including lens used, focal length, etc, etc. In Capture One all the information gathered by the camera stays there. That information is a great learning tool that unfortunately is not completelyretained after the file is run through Photoshop Elements.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2004, 3:24 AM   #3

enkydu wrote:
Quote:
Have you found a quick or cheap way to convert the RAW files? Or have you just resolved to wait until Adobe releases some 300D support?
It might be worth your looking at Ed Hamrick's 'Vuescan', which I used for years as my filmscanner software. He has the 300D raw files in his 'supported' list. I'm not sure how much it costs now, but it used to be very cheap.

See http://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/vuescan.htm#supported
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2004, 1:19 PM   #4

Thanks, guys.

Has anyone found a better way to get the photos on their Windows XP harddrive other than the Camera Wizard?
enkydu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2004, 1:22 PM   #5

I use Canon Zoombrowser EX that I got with my Canon PowerShot A80 (Updated after I installed).

Don't know if it works with SLR camera's (RAW formats etc) but it's worth a look, surely. :-)
Chipseh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2004, 1:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Has anyone found a better way to get the photos on their Windows XP harddrive other than the Camera Wizard?
An external card reader is the way to go. USB2 is much faster than the camera, and you can copy the files as on a regular hard drive.
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2004, 2:27 PM   #7

I connect to the computer via a Sandisk USB 2 card reader and download the images via Canon's zoombrowser EX. This includes all my RAW files. I can download a full 1 GB card with approximately 145 RAW images in around3-4 minutes.I create a new folder, dump all the images in there, then open up Capture One and open the folder to begin processing the images.

That's about the only thing I've found Canon's zoombrowser EX good for!
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2004, 4:50 PM   #8

If you use a USB external card reader, you can just drag and drop into your harddrive directory.

I use Chris Breeze's Downloader Pro. I think it costs about $25 or less.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2004, 4:35 PM   #9

Don't forget that Canon just released Digital Photo Professional, the new RAW converter. Right now it only works on the 1D series but soon it will work with the 10D and DRebel. Watch this website

http://www.powershot.com/powershot2/customer/dpp.html
LTBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2004, 6:46 PM   #10

To add another opinion (opinions are like belly buttons... everybody has one :O). I take all my shots in RAW. I simply copy everything on my cardinto a folder I call "Scratch Disk". Using Breezebrowser, I look at the pix and delete the obvious losers. I then copy all the survivors into a folder called "Canon Raw Files". When I have enough to fill a CD-R, I copy burn a new CD and delete them from the RAW Files folder.

I use BreezeBrowser to convert the "Scratch Disk" files. BreezeBrowser puts them in a subfolder ("Converted" by default). The converted files can be copied anywhere you want to put them. I use "People", "Places", "Events" and "Things" as major headings.

Once Scratch Disk and Converted are duplicated, I clear them out, ready for the next card.
Bob_Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote