Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 21, 2004, 1:51 PM   #1

I was thinking of anyone is handy maybe they could build a viewfinder magnifer.

Canon has the angle finder C but its big and only magnifiers the center of the viewfinder. They have the discontinued Magnifier S also only magnifies the center.

I was thinking maybe a magnifier loupe glued to a canon rubber eyepiece so it slides into place. Any ideas?

I have been wanting and looking for a full frame viewfinder magnifier but there are none so if anyone has any ideas let me know I could use it .
iblaineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 21, 2004, 4:28 PM   #2

Ever since Canon started their pocduction with the AF film camera and the EF mount, they discontinued to produce the removable viewfinder on SLR, you don't see this feature anymore on ther pro-level cameras such as the EOS-1V, and not available on any D-SLR. Their workhorse Canon F1 and F1n use to have the exchangable view finder and if you replace the standard viewfinder or the high point viewfinder with the sport finder, you can see the entire frame of the viefinder without pressing your eyes to it. Nikon DSLR don't have this feature either, but their F5 film camera, currently still in production, still the flag-ship of Nikon film camera, has this option available, but not on thier D series of digital SLRs, I guess because of the demanding of the market on that field is not that great.

Sorry for a little history, but it's neccessary to point out why you don't see the option you need available out there...:roll:

tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2004, 3:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Ever since Canon started their pocduction with the AF film camera and the EF mount, they discontinued to produce the removable viewfinder on SLR, you don't see this feature anymore on ther pro-level cameras such as the EOS-1V, and not available on any D-SLR.
What gave you this idea? All the Canon pro line body "film and digital" have removable viewfinders and replacement models of a fairly wide variety.

My EOS-1D, EOS-1DS, and EOS-1D Mark II all have removable and replaceable viewfinders.

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2004, 1:00 PM   #4

I use my old Nikon F Magnifier and Right Angle Attachment on my 10D. I took an extra Canon Rubber Eyepiece and mounted a threaded Nikon eyepiece. This required drilling and tapping the Canon eyepiece to allow attachment of the Nikon eyepiece with the two nikon eyepiece mounting screws. This arrangement works fine; slips on and off as needed; and has the necessary focus adjustment needed to focus on the Canon screen. If you use a fixed magnifier as you mentioned, you may find that you need some adjustability of focus.
twcoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2004, 7:26 PM   #5

I wanted to ask does that magnify the entire image of the viewfinder? How much is it magnified?
iblaineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2004, 7:37 PM   #6

Well not the entire screen but probably about 80 to 90%. Certainly enough for effective focusing then you can swing it out of the way (it is hinged) for complete screen composition.It was never intended to be used as a fulltime viewfinder. It works the same on the Nikon F camera and was perfectly satisfactory for it's main purpose of critical manual focusing.
twcoffey is offline   Reply With Quote