Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 22, 2004, 10:02 AM   #1

Hello, I just purchased a Canon Digital Rebel for my wife the scrapbooker. I have had an E10 for a long time now and love it. I have always loved our Rebel film camera and so has my wife = why she was ready for a digital Rebel.

Well those of you who have an Olympus know, you plug in the cable, in ANY computer and BOOM in about 20 seconds of loading time ( 256 ) you have a "removable disk" show up and you can browse the camera like any hard drive via thumbnails. WHY WHY WHY WHY is this NEWER, LATEST TECHNOLOGY Rebel SUCH a pain. You can't read it without the Twain driver, and then you can't veiw it unless you load their POS software. If I try to import the images to Photoshop it locks up. If I take the card out and put it in my Olympus in ANY computer, I can read them just like old times. WHY NOT WITH THE REBEL? I would really appreciate ANY help, am I missing some big piece of the story here? I would gladly accept the smack of humility and have the thing work like I think it should.

I await the wisdom fo the web!

Thanks,

Don
TR8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 22, 2004, 12:08 PM   #2

Instead of directly connecting the camera to the computer, why not purchase a USB reader just for the card?
CheckSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2004, 12:27 PM   #3

One more thing to haul around. I mainly use laptops. All I need is my $3 USB cable and I'm veiwing my cam. No need to haul a card reader. If I can avoid that I want to. That's how my E10 works and its fast and easy.
Old May 22, 2004, 1:11 PM   #4
Administrator

If you have a laptop then it should have a PCMCIA card slot. All you need is an inexpensive CF-PCMCIA adapter and voilla! The download speed via the PCMCIA slot is way faster than going directly from camera via USB cable.

And if you want the best possible image quality then shoot in RAW mode and use a piece of software like the C1 Rebel program - awesome results:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_...software3.html

-Steve

steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2004, 1:16 PM   #5

Steve, Thanks for the reply!

I guess I'm just used to the card showing up as a USB mass storage device and a separate drive. The speed is not the big of an issue. My E10 transfers a 256 card in about 20 seconds when it's almost full. I can be ANYWHERE and plug it into ANY computer and it's readable with no driver downloads.THIS alone is thesimplicity I'm looking for since it's going to be my wifes camera, ease ofimage access is a huge issue. I guess thats my complaint with the Rebel. If I take the card out of the Rebel and put it in my e10 then it's just as readable. Why not then directly from the Rebel. It's obviously not a card issue but some hardware/software in the camera itself.
Old May 22, 2004, 3:16 PM   #6

I suspect part of the issue is that Canon expects you will be using their software (not necessarily a realistic expectation) and for RAW conversions you need the twain driver - or at least you did when I was still using Canon's RAW converter (a few years ago).

Who knows why companies do things the way they do. In either case, as Steve says you can use a PCMCIA adapter with a laptop or simply purchase a good USB 2 card reader (assuming you have USB2 on your computer). If you don't have USB 2, you can buy a PCI card which will give you USB 2 capability.

In either case, I highly recommend not using the cable direct to the camera approach to copy files. It's much slower than the alternatives, and if you eventually shoot in RAW mode it will take way too long to offload files that way.

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2004, 3:21 PM   #7

Lin,

Thanks, I just purchased one of those USB readers off Ebay. I figure if I'm spoiled with just using a cable, I'll use the little reader. It's compact enough that I guess I can't complain too much. But I still wish I didn't have to remove the card everytime I wanted to read it. But I will do that rather than install some POS freebie software that I will never use.

It will be much quicker than a cable as well since it's direct plug in.

Thanks for the help!

Don

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...%3AIT&rd=1
Old May 24, 2004, 10:39 AM   #8

Yes, technology does get in the way -

I have been resisting it ever since I can't develop my own emulsion covered glass plates -

Oh well, such is life.

Good Shooting
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2004, 9:47 PM   #9

I recently purchased several ultra Sandisk Ultra II 512 cards and a Sandisk PCMCIA reader. I love it... I After experiencing this king of speed I would never think of using my Rebel to transfer images. When I am out on a job I can't stop the camera that long. I off-load images from one card while I shoot with the other. Fast cards and readers are very important when you get into 512 and 1 Gig cards. I just started shooting RAW and love hat too. You have so much more control of the photo after the shoot. The Canon POS:-) software allows me to have camera controls like exposure control or white Balance settings.I have learned a lot about my camera by shooting RAW and using Canon'ss software because it is much easier to see all of your setting like ISO, Focal Length, Flash, etc. every detail. This is important because RAW makes you shoot in either Manual or P mode (No RAW in Auto). Downloaded C1 Pro Trial Software. But, I don't see myself paying $199 for this...
minutephotos.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2004, 11:11 PM   #10

I may have some help...

If you change the Communication from Normal to PTP under Setup option 2 then it shows up as a regular digital camera to Win XP, and you can browse it like any other drive under my computer.

-rob
strainphoto.com
rob_strain is offline   Reply With Quote