Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 26, 2004, 1:27 PM   #1

Based in large part on the many insightfulpostings on this board, I'm getting ready to purchase the Rebel.

The question I have is what do you all think about buying on line?Here in the Chicago area, the Rebel with kit lens still runs around $1000 while I can get it for over $100 less at a number of websites, all of which claim full manufacturer's warranty.

Am I making more trouble for myself if it does need to be repaired--or do you just send it to Canon for work anyway?

Any thoughts you might have would be appreciated.

jimmymagick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 26, 2004, 2:10 PM   #2

Dozens if not hundreds of people on this site, myself included, have purchased off the web.

I have dealt with B&H after reading many threads. Good, prompt and fair price and delivery.

I can pretty much tell you that anything Steve allows up here as a link has been checked out and OK'd.

One man, one opinion

Jon F
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2004, 2:34 PM   #3

Jimmy

I bought my DR at www.jr.com. I have also purchased several lenses from them.

PHil
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2004, 4:41 PM   #4

B&H is a good company to deal with. They have dropped the price on the Drebel too!
flashbang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2004, 5:06 AM   #5

I bought my whole Rebeloutfit from B&H. The camera had one hot pixel - so hot it showed up in daylight shots. I returned it to B&H with no hassle (I paid the shipping though). Purchased another camera locally (CompUSA) with a perfect sensor, kept the rest of the B&H stuff.

Living in Hawaii the shipping can take a chunk out of the savings, especially if you have to return anything.

David Y

Amateur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2004, 9:45 AM   #6

Thanks for your responses. I feel much more comfortable about that on-line purchase now.

I also spoke to the company photographer where I work. He uses a number of Canon digital cameras and he said that he has to send them to Canon in New Jersey for any warranty work.

That seems to negate any advantage in buying for a local--albeit more expensive--dealer.

Again, thanks.

Old May 30, 2004, 12:38 PM   #7

B + H all the way. I am British and live in Spain, I recently ordered a Canon 16-35L, 50mm 1.4, Manfrotto tripod, Brollies and reflectors from them, they had it all in stock and I received it 4 days later (Including the weekend). Fantastic!!!
Freefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2004, 1:33 AM   #8

Bought mine from www.canogacamera.com fullUS warranty I called canon 1st to ver not grey market they are an authorized reseller.

Good Luck

Chip
Chipperi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2004, 10:29 AM   #9

Right now I'm leaning towards Buydig.com.

The reviews from other shoppers are strongly positive and the price for the Rebel with kit lens is $839.00. (That price is so low, it's almost scary but as I said, the shoppers' reviews are very good.)

Old Jun 3, 2004, 2:04 PM   #10

I just purchased a Canon 10D camera and 17-40 l lens from buydig. The camera came at a good price with a real Canon USA warrenty. I live in NY ordered the camera on Friday got it delivered on Wednesday of the next week. I also was also able to get a rebate on the lens I bought from them through Canon. A years ago I bought a Olympus C5050 from them and had it repaired by Olympus when the lens got stuck(my fault). So the USA warrenty they provided on my previous camera was real.
jjgncmg is offline   Reply With Quote