Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 26, 2004, 11:03 PM   #1

I am looking at the $1,000 Canon EOS Digital SLR cameras, and there seems to be a few models, but they are identical, or very close to being.

What are all of the model names, and what is the difference between them? Is the 300D the same as the Rebel? Are there different types of the Rebel and/or 300D?

Thanks.
TennBikeBerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 27, 2004, 2:22 AM   #2

They are all the same cameras.Just in some countries they are soldunder three different names.EOS 300D,Digital Rebel and kiss digital are all the same cameras.
civil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2004, 8:47 AM   #3

In Japan the camera is designated as the Canon"kiss"

In the United states it is called the Digital Rebel

In other parts of the world it is known as the Canon 300D

It is all the same camera. With the possible exception, that recently Canon announced they were releasing Black Body version in JAPAN ONLY.

The camera is based on the Canon 10D and is identical in many ways except the 10D has more features that are based on the firmware that is programmed into the camera. The 10D also has a metal body whereas the 300D uses plastic and is "Pewter" or grey in color.

Here in the U.S. the Digital Rebel sells for roughly $500.00 less than the 10D and is offered with a "kit lens" for about $100 extra.

If I missed anything, I'm sure someone will come along either correcting me or adding things.

Either way - it is a Darned good camera and capable of Top Quality photos (with the right lens)

Good Shooting - Jon F.
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2004, 11:14 PM   #4

In addition, by using the hack firmware developed for the Digital Rebel you open up additional options as it gives you access to 4 custom functions not offered at all by Canon- things in the software installed by Canon but programmed out in the firmware to keep it's capabilities lower than the 10D. The most important two of the options is being able to set flash exposure compensation on the body and you can change the size of the embedded JPEG's in RAW format.
Greg Chappell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2004, 5:44 AM   #5

Greg Chappell yazd─▒:
Quote:
In addition, by using the hack firmware developed for the Digital Rebel you open up additional options as it gives you access to 4 custom functions not offered at all by Canon- things in the software installed by Canon but programmed out in the firmware to keep it's capabilities lower than the 10D. The most important two of the options is being able to set flash exposure compensation on the body and you can change the size of the embedded JPEG's in RAW format.
Greg, which firmware is it? Can u give a link to download.is it a risk ?if we want toturn back the old firmware can it be possible?Did u try it ?
Old Jun 3, 2004, 10:50 AM   #6

oh sorry,I just noticed the topic you wrote about it.

its ok.

Digital Rebel now can provide ISO 3200 and Mirror lock w/ ha
Old Jun 3, 2004, 11:05 AM   #7

I did finally load it last night (6/2). Actually this is the second version of the program I've loaded. It works great. In that thread you saw I posted what I've nowfound in using the new custom functions. There are differences from the prior version, but I like this latestone the best. Good stuff!

You can get the current official Canonfirmware from their website and re-load it at any point if you ever wanted to go back to the genuine Canon firmware.
Greg Chappell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2004, 5:33 PM   #8

I've no idea why, but (only) on the Japanese (Kiss) version, the kit lens has a USM focusing motor.
gcogger is offline   Reply With Quote