Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 30, 2004, 10:29 PM   #1

I used the Sigma 50-500 all day today without a problem, then when I attached the 70-200 IS USM I got an error 01. I quickly uncoupled the lens and reattached as this seems to arrest the problem. But there is no bleeding way that I'm going to worry about unscrewing the lens and reattaching in order to solve the problem. It happened first when taking "grad" photos of all things, during the grand march. I tested things out again today, using the Sigma 50-500 all day without a problem, but as soon as I attached the Canon "L" lens the error came up again. So what's the moral of this story? I'll let you guyz work it out.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 31, 2004, 6:41 AM   #2
NHL

Isn't "error 01" a communication error between the lens/body? ie some bits are dropping off during the serial communication link between the two devices... and could be remedy by cleaning the contacts?

This is usually due to intermittent contacts resulting from oxidation of the surfaces or wet weather. Re-seating the lens help by just rotating the collar while pressing the lens lock and do not require a complete lens removal (... and get even more moisture inside)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2004, 11:26 PM   #3

Error 01 is apparently a lens contact cleaning problem, yes. So what's the best way to clean these? The error 99 could have occurred when my battery grip came slightly loose, since error 99 can arrive with anything non-specific; since that is an accessory it could have caused the problem.

Any suggestion on cleaning these contacts properly would be appreciated. If, after doing this, the problem still exists I'll just take the lens back, with camera and ask for an exchange since both were purchased from the same store (not online) and both remain on warranty. If the problem isn't rectified I'm going to say so long to the Rebel. I've had it inrepair longer than I've had it in hand.
Old Jun 1, 2004, 6:36 AM   #4
NHL

The terminals are gold plated so not much maintenance is required beside normal wear and tear (minimizing lens changes also help).

I wouldn't use any substance that would leave a residue, in the old days they had tuner/varactor cleaning fluid... :idea:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2004, 9:20 PM   #5

I went out again today and had to loosen and recouple the 70-200 IS twice and didnt' need to touch the 50-500. Once loosened and re-tightened it works fine but that's unacceptable, especially if a cleaning isn't necessary because of gold coatings (makes me wonder why the Rebel manual claims that error 01 is a "contact cleaning problem" if there's no specific way to actually clean them). It's times like this when I'm glad I "didn't" purchase online.