Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 3, 2004, 3:59 AM   #11

Dive, I too am on Mac and hadnt a problem with the downloaded file. If you get the most up to date version of stuffit it should work ok.... In saying that i am going to hold off a while before installing to my camera....!

Richie
Richie Hatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2004, 8:59 AM   #12

mrkryz wrote:
Quote:

choeschen:

You DONT loose WB button .. the Jump button in shooting modes maps to FEC.

Mirror Lock up flips the mirror up prior to shutter actuation which is a MUST HAVE for Macro&Astro photography.

ISO 3200 is very usable after neatimage.. check on dpreview to see samples.. ill post a few later tonight.

Focus Drive Mode Selection: Whether the focus locks after target is acquired, or if it detects movement it kicks into servo - or full time tracking ai-servo

choeschen wrote:
Quote:
Flash Exposure Compensation can already be set on the 300D by using 3rd party software. Not as nice as having it on the camera but if you do the hack you loose your WB button to a FEC button. See this link for information on FEC:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_.../300d_pg6.html

Search for "Fix for Flash Exposure Compensation"

What does the "Mirror Lockup" do for me?

I agree that I would never use ISO 3200, above 800 is too grainy for me.

RAW and JPG selectable sizes: don't think I would have a need for this either but maybe I just don't know what it can do for me other than get me more pictures on my CF card.

Focus Drive Mode Selection: can someone explain this as well.

I must have had some outdated information as I see now on the page that the FEC button was moved to the Jump button.

choeschen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2004, 12:10 AM   #13

I just upgraded mine and played with it a little in my room. It is great to be able to adjust the flash in manual mode now. I will still be getting a external flash later this summer, but until then at least I have this now :P
MIDACL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2004, 4:44 AM   #14

Hey Greg, I've extracted the .rar file to "E3kr111.fir" by Stuffit Expander 8.0.2 When I extracted it again (.fir file) it gets an error. :-( But there's a file in the same folder, its "CanonEOS300D.ccf" the Stuffit can't expand/recognize it.

thanks!

dive! :-)
dive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2004, 10:36 AM   #15

I just installed it a few minutes ago, went flawlessly

Now, just need to take some shots with the new "firmware", and see if it's worth it to me or not!

DavesPPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2004, 5:22 PM   #16

I have installed this firmware and it looks good.Adjustable flash exposure and custom functions are good but I think 3200 iso is not useful generally.

off topic..

by the way, Do you usually use auto white balance or your own selection white balance?Which is the best for you indoor and outdoor?and also which iso do u usually use ?of course it depends the conditions but I think you always have a iso u like more.For example I usually use iso 200.
civil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2004, 6:17 PM   #17

Well, the "Jump" button (FEC) does nothing, it appears to change the exposure, but once the shutter is pressed, it does nothing, as far as changing the exposure goes.

Make any sense?

3200 will be nice for those shots that I "want" to look like they were taken in 1920, but other than that.....

Ah, and I notice that all my pictures are less sharp now, almost grainy, even at ISO 200

Gonna go back to the Canon 1.1.1 official firmware I think.

David
Old Jun 6, 2004, 8:59 PM   #18

Hi there

I'm not sure about using the new hack

Is it possible to return to the original firmware without problems ?

Thanks

Majestic Twelve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2004, 9:24 PM   #19

Yes, I just reinstalled the official Canon firmware 1.1.1 and it worked just fine.

My pictures are also sharp as they were before the "hacked version"

David
Old Jun 12, 2004, 1:44 PM   #20

FYI: If you try to download the firmware through the website that Gregprovided the link toat the top of this thread, you will find that is doesn't work (as of this writing). When I tried it earlier today, all I got was a "You are not authorized to view this page" error. However, after a quick Google search, I found another site to download it from. It can be found at http://www.i-hacked.com/conelectronics/eos300drebel.htm.

I just loaded it on my dRebel. So far, so good!

Stymyx is offline   Reply With Quote