Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 1, 2004, 5:10 PM   #1

There's just been an improved hack introducedto give the D Rebel ISO 3200 and Mirror Lockup in addition to all the other great additions this adjusted firmware has already provided.

Read about it here at:

http://www.bahneman.com/liem/photos/...el-tricks.html
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 1, 2004, 7:29 PM   #2

I can't unzip .rar files ... anyone have them zipped?
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2004, 8:00 PM   #3

I have the file "decompressed", using WinRAR.

You can download WinRAR for a free trial to be able to decompress (or unzip) the file (There's only one file there).

David
DavesPPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2004, 12:13 AM   #4

This firmware is insane!!! MLU is the best feature I have missed the most !!!

+ Flash Exposure Compensation

+ Mirror Lockup

+ ISO 3200 (boy is it noisy... images look like they are from a nikon :P)

+ RAW&Selectable JPG size

+ Focus Drive Mode Selection

AI-Servo is able to be kicked on BUT the current release does not allow you totake trip the shutter...but they seem to beSooooooo Close!!!

GREAT STUFF
mrkryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2004, 6:48 AM   #5

I have read that it is actually possible to force the camera to take a shot in AI-Servo:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...ic.php?t=35263

What is actually happening is that the AI-Servo focusing part actually works when you half press the shutter but when you fully press it, it wont take the picture. What this thread says above is that if you immediately press the shutter again it takes the shot. Also if you have Continuous Shooting mode set it will keep taking the shots and keep focus tracking....! Its a workaround but better than what we have at the minute. Havent installed the firmware yet as i am going to let the dust settle a while to see if Wasia release's a full (not Beta) version....!

Happy Shootin

Richie
Richie Hatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2004, 11:42 AM   #6

I've installed it and haven't taken anything more than some quick test shots indoors. The mirror lockup is a nice feature, albeit a bit of cumbersome to set...then again, you will know well in advance if you need the lockup feature. I haven't done anything with the various focus modes other than figure out how they work. Truth be told, I'm rather poorly versed in the advantages of each mode (guess I need to do some reading and playing). Doubt that I'll ever find a use for 3200 ISO as I rarely go over 800 anyway and generally shoot from 100-400 ISO.

Will keep you posted as I explore more with the settings, but I have a bit of a family crisis situation going on that may demand more immediate attention (father's ill).

Look forward to others findings, as well.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2004, 6:31 PM   #7

mrkryz wrote:
Quote:
This firmware is insane!!! MLU is the best feature I have missed the most !!!

+ Flash Exposure Compensation
+ Mirror Lockup
+ ISO 3200 (boy is it noisy... images look like they are from a nikon :P )
+ RAW&Selectable JPG size
+ Focus Drive Mode Selection

AI-Servo is able to be kicked on BUT the current release does not allow you totake trip the shutter...but they seem to beSooooooo Close!!!

GREAT STUFF
Flash Exposure Compensation can already be set on the 300D by using 3rd party software. Not as nice as having it on the camera but if you do the hack you loose your WB button to a FEC button. See this link for information on FEC:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_.../300d_pg6.html

Search for "Fix for Flash Exposure Compensation"

What does the "Mirror Lockup" do for me?

I agree that I would never use ISO 3200, above 800 is too grainy for me.

RAW and JPG selectable sizes: don't think I would have a need for this either but maybe I just don't know what it can do for me other than get me more pictures on my CF card.

Focus Drive Mode Selection: can someone explain this as well.
choeschen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2004, 7:02 PM   #8

choeschen:

You DONT loose WB button .. the Jump button in shooting modes maps to FEC.

Mirror Lock up flips the mirror up prior to shutter actuation which is a MUST HAVE for Macro&Astro photography.

ISO 3200 is very usable after neatimage.. check on dpreview to see samples.. ill post a few later tonight.

Focus Drive Mode Selection: Whether the focus locks after target is acquired, or if it detects movement it kicks into servo - or full time tracking ai-servo

choeschen wrote:
Quote:
Flash Exposure Compensation can already be set on the 300D by using 3rd party software. Not as nice as having it on the camera but if you do the hack you loose your WB button to a FEC button. See this link for information on FEC:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_.../300d_pg6.html

Search for "Fix for Flash Exposure Compensation"

What does the "Mirror Lockup" do for me?

I agree that I would never use ISO 3200, above 800 is too grainy for me.

RAW and JPG selectable sizes: don't think I would have a need for this either but maybe I just don't know what it can do for me other than get me more pictures on my CF card.

Focus Drive Mode Selection: can someone explain this as well.
mrkryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2004, 12:49 AM   #9

Hi Greg!

I just got my new 300D last week! It's a cool budget-price dSLR! :-) I've downloaded the 1.7MB "E3kr111M.rar" file and it turns out to be a PC file. When I drag it to the Stuffit Expander icon, it didn't do anything. :-)

Is there a Mac version for this one? I'm using OS 9.1-9.2 and Jaguar 10.2.8

Thanks!

dive! :-)
dive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2004, 1:35 AM   #10

Did you unpack the file by using the RAR program? You have to get to only the file with the .fir extension. I had to load a trial version of the software to get the ability to unzip and extract the .fir file.

I finally loaded this recent hack this evening. The jump key is OK for FEC, but I did notice that you have to set the Custom Function #6 to "1" to keep FEC available in 1/3 stop increments. The firmware loads with that custom function set to "0", which is 1/2 stop and the graph pointer disapears in the 1/2 stop settings, which isnot a good thing- it would be nice if the 1/3 and 2/3 marks lit up together toreflect the 1/2 setting so you'd see it. Don't we all want everything!Whatit does mean thoughisyou can now set FEC in increments of 0, 1/3, 1/2, 2/3, 1 for even more control.

Mirror lock up is nice, but for me at least you press the shutter release once and the mirror locks up, then releases on its own about 1-2 seconds later so no second pressing is necessary.

As anyone should expect, ISO 3200 is a little grainy, but if you've ever tried TMAX 3200 or any other 3200 rated film, this to me is nicer & still very useable- kinda looks like what I see when using my G5 at ISO 400! You click into it just like you do on all ISO settings. After 1600 you see "H" on the LCD- that represents ISO 3200. When you take a picture and check the histogram it does say "ISO 3200". This is amazing stuff. The world owes the guy developing thisa huge "Thank you"!!
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote