Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 4, 2004, 7:22 AM   #1

Firstly, Hello everyone.

I've just purchased the 300D and would like to ask the following.

On all the reviews I read about this camera they all seem to agree that pictures taken with the 300D are a little soft.

My problem is most of my pics seem to be very soft especially shots of anything distant. Even if I set a parameter to +2 Sharpening I can't see any difference.

Macro shots so far seem fine it's mainly wide angle and some telephoto shots that all look blurred. More so when viewing on camera.

I can sharpen this pics in Photoshop to a reasonable degree but the shots I see on the reviews in most cases are supposed to be straight out of the camera.

Could it be the 18-55mm Lens that comes with the camera or is this actually quite normal.?

Thanks

Mart.:?
mf_blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 4, 2004, 7:56 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum.

Softness in pictures is a matter of perception to some degree. It is also a factor of the lens as well as the exposure and focusing. You didn't say, but it sounds as if you're using the 18-55 kit lens. I've found that that lens is actually fairly decent and I use it as my wide angle lens. True, it is not as sharp as some others, but for the amount of wide angle that I do, it suffices quite nicely. In any case, don't confuse softness for out of focus shots or movement. If your shutter speed is on the low end, any camera shake will become obvious in the shot, increasingly so as the focal length increases or the shutter speed decreases. Also, make sure that you are actually focused on the subject you want. With 7 focus points available, it is not uncommon for the camera to choose something to focus on other than what you intended. I, and many others, set the camera so that it only uses ONE focus point which will minimze that error. Camera shake can be corrected by using higher shutter speeds or using a steady tripod or other support (best method).

If your shots are still soft and you're shooting jpg's, you can increase the sharpness settings in your parameters in the menu (also color saturation, if desired).

If you could post some examples, someone may be able to give you more specific advice.

Again, welcome to the board
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2004, 8:01 AM   #3

oHenry

Thanks for your reply.

I am using the 18-55mm Lense, some shots like you say are shake but others seem to be just soft. I use Program mode with the focus point in the center spot.

I need to do some more tests and like you said, use my triprod to make sure there's no camera shake.

I'll try posting some shots when I get chance.

Thanks again.
Old Jun 4, 2004, 8:15 AM   #4

Please do post examples. That is the best way to help you out.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2004, 8:35 AM   #5

Sorry Guys, Please ignore the insane ramblings of this newbie, I just really need to practice more. :whack:

I've just done some tests on the tripod using P mode and single focus point and they are all near perfect.

Thanks for your replies, I will start posting some pics when I feel I'm worthy of your critic.

Old Jun 4, 2004, 9:02 AM   #6

mf Blues-

Don't apologize - we ALL have had some unexpected results with some feature or the other-

You have just joined an elite' group of 300D owners who have to work a little to get to know what a really neat camera it is. The 300D is a very good unit, just a little fussy as to how it wants to be treated.

Good Shooting-
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2004, 10:05 AM   #7

mf_blues wrote:
Quote:
Sorry Guys, Please ignore the insane ramblings of this newbie, I just really need to practice more. :whack:

I've just done some tests on the tripod using P mode and single focus point and they are all near perfect.

Thanks for your replies, I will start posting some pics when I feel I'm worthy of your critic.

Critique is the best way to learn sometimes Post away and don't be shy!

When you're ready, we'll get you out of that P mode and start you using the power of the camera to your advantage.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2004, 10:19 AM   #8

I concur with others, post your pics. I am always glad when someone can point out my weakness provided they can recommend a way to improve. You can view some of my shots at www.pbase.com/gibsonpd3620 Some of the suggestions that others have made about these photos are:

1. fill the frame

2. longer zoom needed

3. watch my focus point

Phil
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2004, 10:34 AM   #9

oHenry

Thanks for teaching me how to spell Critique, I couldn't for the life of me remember.:whack:

Gibson, I will get some pics posted as soon as I have some worth posting, at the moment they are all just test shots to help me get used to the cameras functions.

I've viewed you pics before BTW, there's some good shots of the Polo Event, especially the close ones.

I would normally use Shutter or Aperture priority but to start with I'm using P mode cus it's easier but still flexible.

I also attend a Fuji S5000 forum and have posted some pics there so I am used to and appreciate peoples advise and criticism. So thanks for all your comments guys and I'll be back with some pics soon.

cheers

Mart.
Old Jun 4, 2004, 2:44 PM   #10

Mart

Look forward to your postings. I also shot about 600 test shots before I started using my camera for more serious photos. The Polo event moved me to buy a 300mm lens. A polo field is 100 yards wide and 300 yards long. You need the long zoom to reach those shots on the other side of the field.

Phil
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote