Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 5, 2004, 10:57 AM   #1

I just tried tried taking pictures using the raw option. I now have 50-60 Raw pictures that Icoppied to my hard drive. I need to convert them to Jpegs for a monitor slide show. I heard that I can do this very fast by making a action/set or preset. Is there a fast way to create a set/action or a preset. Im using photoshop CS. I have no idea where to start the process off......or how to run it.....

I'm not going to do anything eles to the pictures. Just resize and convert to a jpeg (72dpi)
thanks in advance
Ohio D Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 6, 2004, 4:36 PM   #2

If I understand your question correctly - it's fairly simple. You need to create an "action" to open the files by recording the steps you use to open any raw image. In simplest terms, you choose "new action" from the actions palette and give it a name (e.g. rawconvert). Click the 'record' button, then open a raw imgage and convert it however you usually do or with whatever steps you wish (remember, all of these steps will be applied to all images, so don't add a lot of color/tint corrections, etc that may not work with all situations - just the basic steps you want to convert with). When done, click the 'stop' button. You can then use the batch command on a series of files and run this action. You could also add a "save as" command in your action in case you want to save all the files to a particular type such as jpg or tif, etc.

Hope this helps and doesn't confuse instead. (I'm no PS CS expert by any stretch).
flint350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2004, 6:32 PM   #3

Use Dr Brown's Image processor http://www.russellbrown.com/body.html

ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2004, 6:40 PM   #4

Thanks that was exactly the information I was looking for!!!!!!!!!!
Ohio D Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2005, 4:55 PM   #5

Me too. Just like to reply when I find the post useful. Thanks.

Update: I can't seem to make it work. When I run a batch it will convert one file great then stop. I have tried using the folder and file browser options. Any ideas?
davedeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2005, 9:22 AM   #6

why don't you just try the raw conversion built into PSCS. it is one of the best and is a seamless methodology to you end product.

why do people make things so complex?:?

there are also upgrades on the adobe website that add and improve the built in utility. current version is 2.4 released on the 25th of jan 2005. the 300d is supported.

try reading the PSCS documentation you will learn quite a bit.

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/cameraraw.html

it is not an action it is a supplied plug in for you software. it will recognize the raw file just by simply opening it as you would any other image file. ACR will open and then you will find out just how powerful it is.

sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2005, 11:46 AM   #7

If you select multiple files and then right click you can choose "batch..." from the popup menu.

Then choose the action you want, and it lets you override the save dialog and save it to wherever you want.

That should give you enough to start, play around from there.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2005, 3:54 PM   #8

Thanks eric,
I finally figured it out, had to do with the save dialogs and directories. Not sure which setting actually corrected my problem but I now have a working batch convert action from raw to jpg with auto color.

Old Feb 24, 2005, 4:07 PM   #9

sjms wrote:
Quote:
why don't you just try the raw conversion built into PSCS. it is one of the best and is a seamless methodology to you end product.

why do people make things so complex?:?

try reading the PSCS documentation you will learn quite a bit.

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/cameraraw.html

it is not an action it is a supplied plug in for you software. it will recognize the raw file just by simply opening it as you would any other image file. ACR will open and then you will find out just how powerful it is.

Please let me clarify.

I/we are trying to convert a "batch" of files (automatically) without opening each one at a time to convert.
I have read all the documentation at the link you posted (for the second time) and unless I am mistaken PSCS does not have a plugin to convert a "batch" of raw to jpg files without the use of an "action". If you have knowledge of such please share it with the rest of us.

Old Feb 24, 2005, 4:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Please let me clarify.

I/we are trying to convert a "batch" of files (automatically) without opening each one at a time to convert.
I have read all the documentation at the link you posted (for the second time) and unless I am mistaken PSCS does not have a plugin to convert a "batch" of raw to jpg files without the use of an "action". If you have knowledge of such please share it with the rest of us.
No, there is no other way other than with an action and then "batch" applying that action to a set of files you want. Does this not do what you want, or are you just looking/wondering if there is another way?

I do this all the time. I have an action which opens/converts a raw file, and then reduces the image (while keeping proportions) to 1024 pixels on the width, and then saves the file to a specific directory using the same base name as it had before. This is more than you want, but it includes what you want. So I am able to convert large groups of files without having to do any more than select them in the file browser, and apply the action using "Browse..." and then walking away.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote