Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 7, 2004, 10:55 AM   #1

Here's some closeups that look pretty good I think, what you guys reckon.?

Still finding that distance shots don't resolve detail too well, but I am working on getting my focus point more accurate and getting some pretty good results.

Cheers Guys. Comments more than welcome.

Mart.

PS. I used a Canon EOS 300D BTW.

mf_blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 7, 2004, 12:09 PM   #2

What matters more for sharpenss and good resolution is the quality of the lens. What lens are you using?

Also realize that the depth of field (the area in focus) is very small when you do macro work. This makes it harder than "normal" photography.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2004, 3:20 PM   #3

Hi Eric

When I said about distance photos not resolving the image well, I didn't mean in these closeups. I'm quite happy with these shots. What I meant was Landscape pics when you single out a section to zoom in seems very soft.

I am using the kit lense. 18-55mm. I think some of the problem is getting used to how the 300D selects the focus point. But I now use the P mode and a single center focus point. This is giving me better results but I do think the lense may be to blame for some of the loss in distant object details.

cheers

Mart.
Old Jun 7, 2004, 4:48 PM   #4

The macro shots are very clear and sharp with good DOF. Are you shooting in the AV mode so that you can change the apeture setting for your landscape shots?
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2004, 2:01 AM   #5

Hi Gibson

I'm using P mode, but you can still change your aperture by using the scroll wheel just after depressing the shutter half way.

I think it is really down to practice and some down to the lense quality but I can't afford to buy any lenses at the mo so that'll have to wait.

I'll post some more landscape shots soon to see what you guys think.

cheers

Mart.
Old Jun 8, 2004, 8:53 AM   #6

I think the frist one is the Best! I tried 2 shots of a Daylillie yesterday (I always shoot in TV Mode) with my 28-135 & had to wind up switching over to Manulal focus on the lensbecause the lens kept on focusing on the fence that was in the background. This seems to be a Big problem with autofocus lenses!

David

Railfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2004, 9:25 AM   #7

Page 62 of the DR manual show me how to set to a single focus point. I found it very helpful in shooting macros.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2004, 10:14 AM   #8

Thanks Gibson. I keep my manual in my camera bag at all times. I will read it!

David
Railfire is offline   Reply With Quote