Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 10, 2004, 2:28 PM   #1

I am basically a point and shoot guy who takes family pics of kids plays and sports. I wanted a DSLR for the speed of it for sports, and the lighting adjustments for plays. I was almost sold on the D70 until I read a post about using it as a point and shoot. Aparently it is a fantastic camera, if you know how to use it (which I don't)

I would love to learn more about photography, but not at this point in my life. My daughter has a progressive neurological condition, which makes me want to take a thousand pics of her a day. I am tired of missing a shot because my Sony p9 is still recording the last shot, or didn't focus, or shutter lag.

Do any of you rebel users use it as a point and shoot? Right now I want to use the camera to record life more than art. Is this the right camera for me.

Thanks for the help.

Don
DJPetron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 10, 2004, 2:35 PM   #2

The DR has several preprogramed modes that makes it a great point and shoot. Check this link http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...amp;forum_id=5

It is my granddaughter jumping in our swimming pool.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2004, 2:42 PM   #3

Gibson, that is a nice series. That is exactly the kind of shots I want to take. Shots of life and smiles things to remember. Was that 3 seperate shots taken with "burst mode"

Any other opinions?

Don
Old Jun 10, 2004, 3:00 PM   #4

DJPetron-

Yes the rebel should function very well for a basic P&S.

It can take bursts of up to 4 shots in less than 4 seconds.

However - (theres always a 'however') The Rebel (300D) will not give you a burst of shots using the flash. Common sense in that the flash can't cycle as fast as the shutter functions.

Also - if you use the burst feature, you have to wait for the camera to process the shots before you can start shooting another sequence. This happens fairly quickly but there is some delay involved. This is because the buffer can only hold so many shots before it is full.

The controls that you will be using are quite simple and straight forward - translated as a very short learning curve. The menus are easy to use and quite intuitive.

As you get more into it - and your daughter WILL inspire you - you can learn just how much the camera is capable of giving you.

Money well spent !!
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2004, 3:09 PM   #5

Don

It was the burst mode. Setiprime mad some important points about the camera. You will find over a short period of time it is not difficult to use the TV, AV or manual modes. There is one major problem with this camera:

It may cause you to spend more money on better lenses and accessories.

I would also purchase the camera with the kit lens. It was alens for the $70 difference.

Phil

gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2004, 12:43 AM   #6

As an alternative, you can also consider the Konica Minolta A2. The following is a review from a serious source who is also a good photographer. Several of that site's recent cover photos have been made with that camera (because the author bought one and took it on a vacation).

That camera is an advanced P&S with the ability to shoot 3 frames rapidly, built-in image stabilization, and numerous cool features.

http://luminous-landscape.com/review...nolta-a2.shtml

The Canon Pro-1 is another alternative. The Luminous Landscape has also reviewed that camera.

So you have a real choice between a digital P&S and an SLR. One slight advantage that comes to mind with a digital P&S is that you don't have to shoot with the camera to your eye. Another one is that a P&S, with a smaller sensor size, will have a greater depth of field.

http://www.photo.net/learn/optics/dofdigital/

The Luminous Landscape site is also a good source of information for Canon SLR's & lenses.

And it also has an article on choosing:

http://luminous-landscape.com/essays/choice.shtml
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2004, 2:24 PM   #7

DJ

If all you want is a point and shoot then you may consider one of the Fuji range, I have a S5000, it has 10 * Zoom will do 5 Rapid burst shots at any res or 40 continuous at 1mp. The picture quality is great for prints upto A4 and it as lots of other features you can learn later. Then if you find you're into this passtime in a big way move on to a D-SLR. Yes there is shutter lag with the Fuji but with the burst and continuous modes you're not gonna miss a lot. The only down side to these prosumer cameras however is the electronic shutters. They're not the best but you soon get used to them.

Lots of S5000 pics can be found at www.s5000.net and go to the discussions.

cheers

Mart.

PS. I have the EOS 300D also but I'm having focus issues at the moment which are really doing me head in. Had no such probs with the Fuji. Gotta take me canon back next week and see if I can try another one.:sad:
mf_blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2004, 9:25 AM   #8

Thanks for the advice, Madwand and Mart, I had considered those cameras as well, and took another look at them. I think the larger pixels of the canon, and the shutter lag (or lack there of) have pretty much sold me on a DSLR. I also like that I can go beyond P&S later down the line. I was at a butterflyshow with my kids this weekend, and relly wishing for a quicker camera. Those critters don't sit on kids hand with their wings openfor very long. 50 shots with my sony p9, usable pictures maybe 3-4. It might be me, but for now I'll blame the camera.

Don