Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 14, 2004, 3:17 AM   #11

Thanks NHL.

The tests I ran yesterday were inconclusive, so I'll try the test from the thread you've given me. The one recommended by canon.

The wierd thing is, yesterday I took the camera to a local park and most the shots taken were pretty good, closeup shots I cannot fault, they are great it's always shots when you focus on distant images but it even managed that quite well yesterday.

This might sound daft but these cameras don't have some sort of running in period do they.?

I'm well confused but it seems to be getting better or am I just trying to convince myself it's OK. Just another 8000 shots and it'll be perfect, only problem then is the shutter will probably fail. (According to rumour).

cheers.

Mart.:whack:
mf_blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2004, 6:03 AM   #12
NHL

mf_blues wrote:
Quote:
...The wierd thing is, yesterday I took the camera to a local park and most the shots taken were pretty good, closeup shots I cannot fault, they are great it's always shots when you focus on distant images but it even managed that quite well yesterday.
The same thing happens to me too: If a subject fill most of the viewfinder then the AF works quite well, but on smaller subjects like small birds which fit only in the center rectangle engraved on the focusing screen it's a 50/50 proposition... I sometime try to offset it to the "side" of the rectangle instead (ie the subject straddle inside and outside the AF rectangular frame).

The other trick (from my FD days) is to zoom-in so that the subject covers most of the active areas to focus and then zooming out to compose after the AF has locked doesn't work too well with most Canon EF zooms either: the focus changes as you zoom-out! IMO the Nikon and Sigma zooms have an edge in this area in that the focus do not change when one varies the focal lenght...

Quote:
This might sound daft but these cameras don't have some sort of running in period do they.?
You're just getting used to how the camera work... (the camera kind of running you in)
:idea:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2004, 9:13 AM   #13

Cheers NHL

I think you're right, it's me who needs running in.
Old Jun 27, 2004, 8:53 AM   #14

Can I just suggest that if people are having problems getting what they wanted in focus, then one Big Useful Trick is to turn *off* the auto-focus-point selection. After lots of not-quite-as-planned pictures in the first few weeks of ownership I told the camera to have the centre focus point ONLY selected.

If you switch to DofF AP mode it'll turn them all on automtically. Aside from that on those rare occasions when you want focus and meter points to be separate, you can change it pretty quickly. For 95% of pix, I find the centre focus spot to be the one I'm going to want to use, and removing the uncertainty that the camera will *agree* with me is a big help! :-)
ccomley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2004, 2:14 PM   #15

ccomley

That's exactly what I do all the time, but the camera still chose to focus on the wrong part of the subject. I find the canon focusing system to be very choosy, even on manual focus things that look to be sharp turn out blurd on the final picture. It gets better with practice but is never 100% certain. You just have to get used to it's little quirks.

cheers

Mart.