Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 12, 2004, 9:33 AM   #1

Aperature lock?

I know we can shoot in Aperature Priority ... But I often find myself wishing I could throw my camera into one of the auto modes for quick snaps w/o having to worry/watch my lens get flipped wide open and loose sharpness. Especially fast lenses ... the camera has a preference to open the lens up rather then adjust the shutter speed (at least on mine). I think an aperature lock or shutter lock would be great to dial in a base and know that my images will remain in the "sweet spot" or closer to it ... I dont want to make this into a whole discussion of the metering priority vs shutter speed vs aperature.... just would really love that imaginary feature .. LOL

Just thinking aloud ...

mrkryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 12, 2004, 4:05 PM   #2

Time Priority (Tv)does that. It keeps the Aperture fixed and shifts the shutter speed to give you the proper exposure.

Unless I'm missing something.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2004, 12:58 AM   #3

You're both confusing me.

Shutter priority (Tv) does not keep the aperture fixed. Aperture Priority (Av) does that.

I don't understand what mrkryz finds lacking in Av mode for this purpose.
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2004, 6:30 AM   #4

mekrvz-

Your info isn't very complete, but I gather that you are looking for a "auto function" that can take the perfect shot.

When you use 'auto' (often reffered to as 'green box' mode), you are letting the camera make all your choices for you. This feature is offered my the mfgr. for just such times as you mention. BUT, when the camera takes over, you can't do anything but push the button to take the shot.

Many of us use the Av (Aperture view) much of the time. There are exceptions of course such as night shooting etc.

In Av you control the DOF of the shot (aperture setting). Whatever you dial in, the cameracomputes a corresponding shutter speed. That Av setting stays until you change it, and remains when you turn the camera off.
I shoot at ISO200 as often as not. If the aperture opening I want, doesn't give me shutter speed fast enough for a steady shot - then I kick the ISO up to 400, buying me more flexability in shutter speed.

Still not sure if I answered the question though.

Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2004, 6:54 AM   #5
NHL

Madwand wrote:
Quote:
You're both confusing me.

Shutter priority (Tv) does not keep the aperture fixed. Aperture Priority (Av) does that.

I don't understand what mrkryz finds lacking in Av mode for this purpose.
Madwand is correct, (Av) will do what mrkryz want

IMO what mrkryz really wants is a variable "auto" mode where the aperture value (or shutter) can change, but is prevented from going pass a certain maximum aperture (or minimum shutter) value (which can be locked by the user). I believe in (P) mode mrkryz can also achieve the same thing by turning the thumbwheel next to the shutter to adjust both the aperture and shutter to his preference while maintaining the same exposure...

Also keeping the camera in "landscape" mode will limit the camera's range to smaller apertures, while keeping it in "action" mode will prevent the camera from slower shutter values as well... :idea:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2004, 11:44 AM   #6

NHL wrote:
Quote:
IMO what mrkryz really wants is a variable "auto" mode where the aperture value (or shutter) can change, but is prevented from going pass a certain maximum aperture (or minimum shutter) value (which can be locked by the user). I believe in (P) mode mrkryz can also achieve the same thing by turning the thumbwheel next to the shutter to adjust both the aperture and shutter to his preference while maintaining the same exposure...

Also keeping the camera in "landscape" mode will limit the camera's range to smaller apertures, while keeping it in "action" mode will prevent the camera from slower shutter values as well... :idea:

Exactly, I understand how Tv and Av modes work but what would be a real benifit to me is an aperature lock. Something that would be a Custom Function that kept the lens from exceeding or dipping below a certain value. Specifically, each lens has known sweet spots where it is the most sharp. The wish item I would love is to be able to throw on a lens that has a known sweet spot between say f/4 - f/8 and regardless of mode (except Av) know the camera wont compensate w/aperature to get correct exposure but rather force the camera to set ISO and shutter speed. I often just use manual to make sure the aperature is where I need it to be ... since even "Landscape" mode often doesnt stop the lens down enough to keep it really crisp.

mrkryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2004, 2:15 PM   #7

brain slip... where it Tv come from?

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote