Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 14, 2004, 6:41 PM   #1

I was all ready to place my order for the Rebel and. by chance, we were passing thru the Sears store. The camera was sitting out and I decided to pop the kit lens off to see just how easy it would be to changeon the fly.

Guys, everything just felt cheap. The lens had no heft to it whatsoever and the body by itself felt equally chintzy. I know this isn't like my old Canon AE1 but for $850 plus I was expecting something a little bit substantial.

I know I'm being silly but this is a sizeable bit of money for me. Anyone have words of reassurance for me?

jimmymagick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 14, 2004, 7:10 PM   #2

Although it does have a cheap, flimsy, plastic feel, it is actually a fairly sturdy polymer body. If you're dead set against it, go with the 10D ... it will cost you more, but it is constructed better....of course, you will have to buy a lens to go with the body ... so, $1500 + another $3-500 plus for the lens ... starts making that plastic camera a bit more attractive, huh?
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2004, 7:10 PM   #3

The most expensive single part of a digital camera is the sensor. To keep costs down, they don't use as expensive parts for the rest of the camera. That includes the material in the body/housing.

It is my understanding, though, that it is fairly rugged. Is it as good as the AE1? (A seriously heavy metal body camera, is I recall... I've only held one a few times, though... so I could be wrong.) I don't know. Plastics and carbon based polymers are getting strong and good.

A point about the lens. Optically its not a bad lens. Especially for the price and that its fairly wide angle. But don't feel like you have to get it. You can always cut $100 off the price and get something else (it will cost more, but it might be better made.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2004, 7:57 PM   #4

I concur with Eric, do not buy the kit lens if you do not like the feel. However, it is a very good lens. I would not purchase the lens with my camera if I had to do again but not because of the quality of the lens. I purchased the Canon 28-135 USM IS lens and not used the kit lens since.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2004, 8:25 PM   #5

And I would disagree. I don't use the kit lens for most of my photography, but when I want to go wider than 28mm on my Tamron, the kit lens does a great job and $100 is a heck of a lot cheaper than any wide angle lens you'll find. To me, it's a no brainer. The only other sub $100 lens worth its salt is the 50mm f/1.8 plastic lens.

And if you REALLY want to be amazed, go to ebay.com and check on the prices people are getting for this lens. :O
Old Jun 15, 2004, 1:04 AM   #6

I just bought the Digital Rebel about 4 days ago. I was thinking I "needed" something better and was also eyeing the 10D and the Nikon D70. I went with the Rebel because of the price (899 with lens, no tax) and the fact that I already have some other Eos gear (550EX and a 75-300 zoom). No, I don't think you are going to be able to drop this thing too much, but I'm guessing all but the EOS 1D could take a fall.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"My first SLR I've ever owned is a Minolta X-470. I accidentally ran it over with my pick-up. I took it out of the bag and all that happened was the Cokin filter attachment broke off the lens. I still have the camera today. I hope I never run over my Rebel.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I love the camera, but as everyone says. If you want a better lens, you could save 100 dollars and then get one you will like. I do think you will pay a bit more though. But to get the wider angle you will need an 18mm, which are really pricey.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Good luck.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Dave
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2004, 7:09 AM   #7

Hey Jimmymagick-

Listen to Ohenry and Eric - although I do not always agree to letter with their opinions, these guys are pretty solid in their advice.

I have had my 300D for about 7 months now. 3000+ shots.

I work in the Automotive industry and I can tell you that Industrial plastics have some distinct advantages over metals in many cases. The Rebel is a classic example of that technology put to the right use. Key areas INSIDE the unit are metal, as it provides stability of a specific kind, primarily the sensor frame/mirror cage.

The Rebel is definately not "cheap" in the way it is constructed. Common sense says that Canon isn't going to put a key marketing unit out, expecting tens of thousands of units - and make it "cheap". Too much at stake here.Bad reports on construction could cost them market position, and that is the kiss-of-death in todays camera race.

With all of it's shortcomings and idiosyncracies - The Rebel is one heck of a camera.

As to the 'kit lens' - I bought it, used it, and it does a decent job. It isn't advertised as anything more than a consumer grade lens - so why expect more in the first place. I think ohenry is correct - it works and it works well, no more no less.

I expect to move to anew body within the next year or two - that is why I put my money into good lens as I find the need and funds.

Your concerns are unfounded, as to quality. Put your money down and start having some fun- cause it is a darned good unit.
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2004, 8:25 AM   #8

I saw a thread I think on this site where several people have dropped their rebels and they worked fine and didn't even scratch. I think the lense scracted more then the camera. I don't want to test mine but it's good to know.
iblaineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2004, 8:44 AM   #9

Setiprime wrote:
Quote:
Listen to Ohenry and Eric - although I do not always agree to letter with their opinions, these guys are pretty solid in their advice.

Blasphemy!!!!!!! :lol:
Old Jun 15, 2004, 9:33 AM   #10

ok....i'm not understanding why you guys are worried about if you could run it over and use it again?! my G2 doesn't leave my room unless it's strapped to my neck, or in it's back (on a table....not on the ground outside).....

it would save you a lot of money to NOT get the 10D and make sure you don't drop/run over your rebel...
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote