Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 15, 2004, 3:28 PM   #1

I took this picture of a farm in Germany. Then I gussied it up using photoshop. This is one of my first good pictures (in my opnion)I've taken with my Rebel. What do you guys think, remember that I am no Photoshop Ranger.

http://headhunter66.tripod.com/Germany/Rebel/index.htm

Dave Porter
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 15, 2004, 6:00 PM   #2

I'm certainly no PS expert either.

I think the new sky is nice, but you really have to spend the time to blend it in through the trees. Those white spots really stand out and look bad. The concept of the picture is nice, but I would have put less grass in , and more sky. The large green mass at the bottom seems... odd to me. Over 1/2 the picture is the grass and there is nothing there... the subject (to me) is the buildings.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2004, 10:14 PM   #3

Nice job - good display of PS possibility. I don't really notice the sky difference thru the trees, but Eric is right - you could eliminate with some time and practice.
fporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2004, 10:25 PM   #4

It seems you used a slow shutter speed to blur the grass, Its a good effect but I would go even slower to give the grass a bigger blur. Seems like you were shooting near ground level its works well but the camera needs to be put up a little higher. More than half the picture is grass.

Basicly go for about 40% of the picture as grass by tilting up a little / mabe raising camera level little, and slow down the shutter speed
Sergey85z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2004, 11:04 PM   #5

the trick seems to be, with landscapes, if you are gonna have a lot of grass/plants in the foreground, make sure they are all sharp (unless going for a blur effect of course) and take a couple with a vertical orientation....

the PS work is very nice....the trees just look like the clouds get brighter there....but if you want to take the time, it would take a while, but you could make all that blue too....

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2004, 2:05 AM   #6

Thanks for the input. After I zoomed in on the Photoshoped one, I noticed the bad blend. It was just an experiment to see if it was something I would enjoy doing. And the advice about too much grass is the kind of advice I was looking for. When it comes to Photography, I consider myself an advanced amateur. The advanced part is that I understand the mechanics of cameras and how to take the picture, the amateur part is, I'm not sure what to frame. I'm learning though, and with the DRebel, it makes it easy to see the results.

Dave
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2004, 8:06 AM   #7

the best way to learn that, would be to get a photography book out of the library...or just buy one

doesn't have to be digital photography, actually it would probably be better if it wasn't....but you might pick up some compositional type ideas from them

another good way would be just to wander around here and check out some shots, and read the comments people post for them, and post your own....

maybe even check out national geographic, see wat kind of pictures the guys are getting big bucks for!

hope this helps

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2004, 1:11 PM   #8

HH66-

Good beginning ! I agree with the previous comments.

You are learning TWO new disciplines.

Photography and Post production. I have used PS since it came out in 1988 and I use it every day. My point is, i'm still learning !! Practice, Practice, and then Practice some more.

Photography is a combination of Art and Science, what and how you approach it is what will eventually make you as good as you can be. Yes there are shortcuts and tricks, but as you will learn, you gotta pay your dues !

Keep shooting, and keep us tuned in to your efforts. It is that never-ending challenge that keep us all trying.

P.S. Had you considered one small (red, blue, or yellow) flower in the middle of the grass??
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote