Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 15, 2004, 5:58 PM   #1

is "IS 28-135 USM " a sharp lens as far as kit lens 18-55 or sharper? it s an expensive lens anddoes it worth the price? Can I reallytake clear and sharp photos thanks to IS although it shakes?
civil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 15, 2004, 6:26 PM   #2

I think the lens is worth the money. Here is a link to some photos with the lens.

www.pbase.com/gibsonpd3620

Phil
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2004, 8:02 PM   #3

I have the 28-135 IS and its fantastic. The 75-300 IS is alittle sluggish with AF but its also a great lens. I myself will never find a reason not to keep the 28-135 IS in my bag if not always on my camera. The IS makes a huge difference.

"Once you go IS, you wont go back."

Ack all the fun faces dont work right...

UniSonBBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2004, 8:04 AM   #4

Thanks to all.

so,what about a chipper one, 28-105 USM ? it s chipper butI think also a good lens isn'it?

Phil,Your grandchildren look very cute :-)you must be happy taking photos of theme and spending your time. I congratulation you,you are good grandpa
Old Jun 16, 2004, 10:03 AM   #5

Thanks on the comments on my grandchildren. It is tough letting them go home with their parents.

I have not used the other lens. The USM is a plus on that lens but you would be missing IS. You look young and may have steadier hands than a 60 year old man. Also at 105mm focal length IS may not be required.

Phil
Old Jun 16, 2004, 12:41 PM   #6

It all depends on your needs I think. I had the 28-135 IS, but ended up trading up. Too long for good wide angle shots with the 1.6 crop of dSLR, too short for my uses (note, that's MY uses, which may be different than yours). It is sharper than the kit for sure, and longer which is nice, so I can definitely see how it is a great lens for some folks.

I ponied up to get the 70-200 f4L and 17-40 F4L. Not the best you can get, but pretty damn good. And there the difference is even more clear between the two Ls and the kit lens vs. the difference between the 28-135 and the kit lens.

So, my opinion, yes the 28-135 IS is better than the kit lens. But depending on your needs, possibly not the best option.

Graeme
Graeme Shiomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2004, 2:42 PM   #7

Thanks your comments friends.

by the way,here is my first gallery and I want to share it with you.I would like to hear your comments about the photos.

http://www.pbase.com/civilman
Old Jun 16, 2004, 2:55 PM   #8

Here is MY opinion

87960 Do not use flash when shooting in areas with reflective services. You get the hot spots.

80680 What are we looking for in this photo? Focal point of the picture.

80760 Depth of Field is very good. I would move the planter where it was it the sun and eliminate the varying light surfaces.

Miniaturk - I visited the miniature city when I was stationed in Europe. Wonderful palce. You photos are much better in this group. In photo 60020 you filled the frame with the focal point of the picture. I often have this problem when I am shooting that I forget fill the frame with my subject.
Old Jun 16, 2004, 3:40 PM   #9

Phil,

I just took the photos which in the miscellaneous gallery for testing my drebel.Therefore it wasnt important what I took.I just wanted to learn how the rebel takes photos on different conditions.
Old Jun 16, 2004, 4:01 PM   #10

Good luck with your shooting endeavors.

Phil