Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 15, 2004, 9:13 PM   #1

After making several comparative test shots (w/Canon Image Stabilization lenses), I just sold my Canon DRebel w/lenses & purchased the Olympus E-1 with 14-55 & 50-200 Zuiko lenses. I found the images from the all digital E-1 to be much sharper. As I have mentioned, I've been selling fine art prints at both charity auctions and directly (when I can find a good venue). Most of the sale quality prints came from my Olympus C-730; few from my DRebel. After six months of use, I was becoming increasingly dissatisfied with the quality with both Canon and Tamron lenses (The few sale quality prints was using the Tamron 28-300). I purchased my body and two lenses from Cameta Camera via their ebay auctions - I saved over $600 off what I would have paid retail for the same equipment and received great service. I can report that the control layout of the Olympus E-1 is more logical than the DRebel and the picture taking performance quite exhilarating. I just got it yesterday and have not a chance to download and work the software, so I'll have to report on this later. I also found the weatherproofing (especially here in Colorado with dust and sudden thunderstorms) and vibrating processor cleaning a real plus for my shooting conditions. As many of you regulars know, I have a real concern about frequent lens changes. I share this info with my fellow Steve's Regulars FYI. I'll let you know as I use the E-1 if I think I made the right decision!:?:
fporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 15, 2004, 9:25 PM   #2

Hope it works out for you.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2004, 9:13 AM   #3

THX - I'll keep you posted. I should clarify that it's not that my DRebel did not take good photos - but that for the fine art quality I needed, there was not enough sharpness in the captured images. Sharpening in post production w/Photo Shop was not yielding the results I need to convince buyer to part with their discretionary $$. I was actually getting much sharper fine arts images with my Olympus C-730 at 3.2 mp :?:.
fporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2004, 10:35 AM   #4

I actually own the 10D but was wondering if the Rebel has the sharpness setting in the middle by default? I can pump up the sharpness on the 10D so there's little work to be done later.

Most consumer point-and-shoots have the sharpness at maximum since most people won't be cranking up Photoshop to iron the wrinkles out of junior's bib.

Alex Campuzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2004, 11:05 AM   #5

Alex Campuzano wrote:
Quote:
I actually own the 10D but was wondering if the Rebel has the sharpness setting in the middle by default? I can pump up the sharpness on the 10D so there's little work to be done later.

Most consumer point-and-shoots have the sharpness at maximum since most people won't be cranking up Photoshop to iron the wrinkles out of junior's bib.

Yes, the Rebel's saturation and sharpness can be increased further than the factory defaults. You're right about consumer camera's set to maximum sharpness and saturation. That's because most point and shoot camera owners want a camera that produces good snapshot pictures of their kids, vacation, etc. without the need to do any post processing. The dSLR's can be set up thatway, as well. I think Canon would probably do better by setting the sharpness and saturation stronger for both the DRebel and the 10D. I see this comment all too well that "my old <insert point and shoot camera choice here> does a much better job than my new Rebel (10D)". (Not in my opinion, though :-))
Old Jun 17, 2004, 2:41 PM   #6

That is the first time I've heard this as a reason to back away from a VERY good camera. You can boost sharpness and saturation to that P&S 'snapshot' kind of view very easily in the parameters menus of my Rebel. As to 'fine art', Canon glass (high end) is the best quality produced on this particular planet.

Good Photography is produced with a certain amount of hard work and much practice.

Just put me down as a staunch defender of a camera I worked very hard for.

Good luck to ya'.
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2004, 3:06 PM   #7

Setiprime wrote:
Quote:
Good Photography is produced with a certain amount of hard work and much practice.

WHAT????:shock::shock: You mean I can't just buy expensive equipment, put it in auto, press the button, and get professional quality shots every time???????:shock:
Old Jun 17, 2004, 4:37 PM   #8

Ohenry

With your talent that is possible.

Phil
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2004, 5:10 PM   #9

gibsonpd3620 wrote:
Quote:
Ohenry

With your talent that is possible.

Phil
With well over 25 years of SLR use, I get a lucky shot every once in awhile, Phil
Old Jun 18, 2004, 7:44 AM   #10

Why spent $2,000 to get an D-SLRand lensthat not as good as the decent D-70 with lens (for $800 less)? The FL50 flash cost over $400 compare to the wonderful SB-800 @ $310-$340, well...you figure it out... I sold the Rebeltoo, but because I already had the 10D, I have to make a choice of which one I will keep. Rebel is a great DSLR, for the price it's selling for, it's hard to beat.

I guess Rebel II is on its way in September, watch out Nikon... "He'll be back":-)
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote