Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 16, 2004, 12:44 PM   #1

I recently aquired a Canon 10D. I am new to this color space stuff and was wondering what is the best way to go?

I have been told to use AdobeRGB in Photoshop. Is this a good setting for photography purposes?

I am assuming that you should match your camera and PS settings...

Any explanation and suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Zendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 16, 2004, 3:05 PM   #2

I know a bit about this, but I am certainly no expert.

Do you know what a colorpsace is? If not read here:

http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Glos..._Spaces_01.htm

This says it way better (and with pictures!) than I ever could. I'll wait while you read it... ("Ohhh.... sitting on the dock of the bay, watch the tide roll away..." Gotta sing Otis while your waiting.)

So now that you understand color spaces, the question becomes what color space to use. AdobeRGB isn't a bad one. The big downside that I know of is that when you convert from AdobeRGB to sRGB (which you'll need to do when posting on the web) you'll loose some contrast. So you'll probably have to bump the contrast after you convert it, or they will look kinda flat.

Anyone know of any other downsides?

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2004, 4:24 PM   #3

eric s wrote:
Quote:
I know a bit about this, but I am certainly no expert.

Do you know what a colorpsace is? If not read here:

http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Glos..._Spaces_01.htm

This says it way better (and with pictures!) than I ever could. I'll wait while you read it... ("Ohhh.... sitting on the dock of the bay, watch the tide roll away..." Gotta sing Otis while your waiting.)

So now that you understand color spaces, the question becomes what color space to use. AdobeRGB isn't a bad one. The big downside that I know of is that when you convert from AdobeRGB to sRGB (which you'll need to do when posting on the web) you'll loose some contrast. So you'll probably have to bump the contrast after you convert it, or they will look kinda flat.

Anyone know of any other downsides?

Eric

Thanks,

I remember reading about this before.
Dumb question, I use AdobeRGB in PS now and upload images to the web all the time saved with that profile. So the conversion you speak of, does that happen automatically?

Old Jun 16, 2004, 5:50 PM   #4

What are you using to save to the web?

If you don't convert from AdobeRGB to sRGB and save it to the web almost every web browser on the planet will try to display it as sRGB any ways. Not good. I believe it will look kinda muted and with low contrast (but this is just a guess, I've never tried it.)

If you tag the picture asAdobeRGB (i.e. don't convert it, but try to tell the web browser to actually display it as AdobeRGB) almost every browser on the planet will ignore the tag and display it as sRGB, with the same problems as below. I believe the only browser to get this right is one of the ones on the Mac. At least, that is what I've read.)

If you actually convert from AdobeRGB to sRGB then what you see will (in theory) be what they see (ignoring monitor calibration issues) when they view the picture in their web browser.

Since it sounds like you're not doing the conversion yourself, you'll have to look up how your software works to see if its doing it for you. That I probably can't help you with. I *think* that PhotoShop CS will convert the color space when you use "Save For Web" but I don't know that for a fact.

Eric
Old Jun 16, 2004, 6:49 PM   #5

Sometimes I use PS to save images and other times I use Paintshop Pro.

Here is an image saved in the AdobeRGB format. If it being converted I can't tell the difference.

http://www.adventurersplace.com/TR/M.../DTVamp640.jpg

Obviously, much for me to learn

Old Jun 17, 2004, 12:18 AM   #6

First off, nice picture. Not traditional in its composition and the setup (expression, accessories & lighting) are well done. You've put some thought into the picture and it shows.

I can't tell you what color space it is in by just looking. Well, I guess I could load the picture in to photoshop and look at it in both color spaces and see if one looks better than the other... but that would be my definition of "better." And that is not what matters. I might think it looks better in sRGB.. but I can't conclude from that that it actually is in sRGB.

The only way to answer the question is to read the manual. Or find someone who actually knows the answer. I know something about the topic, but not the answer to this specific question. And one software program will do it differently than another so you'll have to read the manual for both programs.

Eric
Old Jun 17, 2004, 11:51 AM   #7

Thanks!

I guess another answer for me would be to run some test on my own. Thank you, you have been a big help!

Old Jul 4, 2004, 1:10 AM   #8

Have you properly calibrated your monitor? One space is only 'better' than the other if you can actually see the differences. :-)

AdobeRGB gives you a bit more saturated colors in the red-orange and green over sRGB. Note also that printers cannot get close to the adobe RGB space.

Interesting reading:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/ubbthrea...b=5&o=&fpart=1
http://www.shootsmarter.com/infocenter/wc025.html

Personally, I shoot and process in sRGB. Its easy, saves me time, and still produces great prints.

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote