Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 18, 2004, 4:54 AM   #1

I know I've seen some posts already on this subject, and I've even asked this once before I actually bought my DRebel.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Second Curtain Sync, with a 550EX.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Ok, my Elan II had a setting on the camera itself, and I knwo the 550 has a setting also. With the Elan, I just set the custom function for Second Curtain Sync, then when I take the picture the flas will fire once, right before the shutter closes. When I set the 550 to do it on the DRebel, it will fire once when the shutter opens and once when it closes. Is that the only way to use it on the DRebel, or is there a way to have it flash just before it closes only.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I promise to let this horse lay in peace if any one can help me out.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Thanks,

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Dave
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 18, 2004, 6:29 AM   #2
NHL

headhunter66 wrote:
Quote:
it will fire once when the shutter opens and once when it closes. Is that the only way to use it on the DRebel, or is there a way to have it flash just before it closes only.
That's the only way. The 1st firing is actually done prior to the shutter opening! This initial burt is called a pre-flash in most if not all digital cameras and is used to meter the scene.

The second pulse is the "true" real flash that is used for the proper exposure based on the measurement made by the camera on the 1st firing! There's no Off The Film (or off the CCD) measurement with most digital cameras...
http://eosseries.ifrance.com/eosseri...ork_fonct.html

Does the 2nd shutter sync even work on the DRebel?
http://bobatkins.photo.net/photograp...10d-rebel.html
:idea:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2004, 8:10 AM   #3

As far as I know it works on the DRebel, as long as the flash is set for it. The DRebel doesn't have a setting for it, but my flash does. I haven't had any real tests for it. I can take a picture with it set and it will flash once as soon as I press the shutter button, then again right before the shutter closes. I have tested it at 1 sec and longer exposures.

Dave

ps Thanks for the site, it is very helpful

headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2004, 5:16 PM   #4
NHL

headhunter66 wrote:
Quote:
As far as I know it works on the DRebel, as long as the flash is set for it. The DRebel doesn't have a setting for it, but my flash does. I haven't had any real tests for it. I can take a picture with it set and it will flash once as soon as I press the shutter button, then again right before the shutter closes. I have tested it at 1 sec and longer exposures.

Dave

ps Thanks for the site, it is very helpful
Cool!

If it fires at the end of the 1s then you do have 2nd curtain sync... So much for trusting the web hey? This feature is always enabled on the DRebel then: what's up with folks looking for a hack!

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...50&forum_id=37
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote