Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 18, 2004, 7:44 AM   #1

Is it possible to set up the rebel to name the files with the date taken as part of the file name or an extention. My wife is a bigtime scrap booker, and is really anal about the dates pictures are taken.

Don
DJPetron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 18, 2004, 8:15 AM   #2

As far as I can see, no. The camera has a system that I do not see can be overridden. It continuously numbers up to around 10,000 then starts over, with a three digit prefix that seems to go up by one each time I download images. Right now my counter is setting on 185-8600, which I believe means I've downloaded images 85 times (starts at 101) and I've had 8600 clicks of the shutter.

You can change the camera to reset every time so it does not continuously count up. The renaming file system would be nice. The Kodak digital cameras allow you to name files and download them into the camera- a pretty cool function.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2004, 8:48 AM   #3

I think Greg's right.

Here's what I do to ensure that the files are easily renamed when they're put on my computer.

I download my pixs from the camera I use Windows XP's Scanner & Camera Wizard. This allows me to create/select the folder to download the images intoAND it allows me to quickly rename the photos by adding a date prefix to them.

If you don't have Windows XP you can use the batch rename feature in Photoshop Elements. Using the File Browser, select the photos you want to rename and then right-click them. The pop-up menu will contain the option to "Batch Rename." It's quick and painless.
enkydu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2004, 9:17 AM   #4

I'll try the enky, thanks. No photoshop, though.

I hope that works, otherwise it is more work for the wife which leaves less time for making me pies.

Don
Old Jun 18, 2004, 9:25 AM   #5

If you use Chris Breeze's Downloader Pro, you can rename the files as you wish, including date taken.

http://www.breezesys.com/Downloader/index.htm
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2004, 11:16 AM   #6

Hey GREG -

Your close on the explanation. Your 185-8600 works like this.

The 185 is the number of folders that the camera has used (actually 85). Canon starts with folder 100 when you first start recording shots. As you can see, each folder holds 100 shots and moves to the next folder automatically. The number you are showing works pretty well.

What I'm not sure about is if you delete in-camera during a session, whether or not the counting function continues in chronological order. I do know that if you fill up a card and change during a shoot, you will get a duplicate folder (not duplicate shots) on the new card.

Remember it's just a dumb computer !!
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2004, 12:22 PM   #7

Ohenry, thanks for the info on breezes downloader pro. Works like a charm. I now save each file with the month, day, year, time,and filename. It comes out in this format "MM-DD-YY HHMMSS filename" It makes for a long filename, but is great to have the date and time the pics were taken on the back of walmart developed photo.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Don
Old Jun 22, 2004, 1:37 PM   #8

I've noticed when I download a group of shots there are spaces left where I have deleted images as I shot, so it does not go back and re-number to give you a complete uninterrupted string of exposure file numbers. I've had people ask me "where's this number or that number" because there were holes in the numbering sequence.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2004, 6:57 AM   #9

Greg-

Thanks for the info. As far as 'missing' numbers, I once took a 3 shot burst of my foot, while talking to someone. Needless to say I got rid of them quickly !!

As we all know, pros like us don't make mistakes!! HeeHee!
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote