Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 20, 2004, 12:50 AM   #1

A friend of mine has jumped into the hobby of photography. He got a 300D about 8 months ago, and just passed the 10K mark! This past week, it croaked with the following problem:

It got err99 and the lens made a grinding noise using the Canon EFs 18-55 lens. He put his 28-135 on, and it seemed fine. However, the next time he shot, it was on continous and the shutter kept stalling or hanging up followed by the OS err.

He has a pricey warranty on it, and it has been sent back to Canon. He went ahead and bought a 10D on the spot. He'll sell the 300D when it comes back. The rep at the store told him more than likely Canon will send back a new camera.

For $900, I can buy the 300D with the EF-S 18-55 lens, a Sigma 28-80 f/3.5-5.6 lens, and Sigma 70-300 f/4-5.6 DL Super Macro lens. He'll throw in a 512MB CF card that was $200 new. He paid right at $1,600 for all of that when it was new. He's since bought three other lenses that he's keeping for his 10D.

I've looked all over online, and the cheapest I have found the 300D was $649 body only. Most places are in the 800-900 range with the 18-55 lens. If Canon sends him a new camera, I am getting a brand new one.

He said for $150, I can renew the warranty this fall. With or without warranty, given the nature of the failure, is it a good idea to buy it if it is the same camera repaired?

I also saw a review at Epinions blasting Canon over the ERR99 code and "poor quality" that causes it.

http://www50.shopping.com/xPR-Canon_...D-140889525892

I currently have an Olympus 3020 (3.2 MP with 3x optical zoom). I am sick of it. I have been reviewing cameras online for several months, and I can never find one that seems to fit what I want. It seems from the reviews I have read on the 300D, it is the best amatuer SLR camera, and is good enough to satisfy the semi-professional. It seems like a good fit for me as a step up from the Olympus.

2-3 other other people I know want this 300D when it comes back, but my friend has put me first in line. If I change my mind, he'll sell it without a problem. I just want some opinions before I make a decision.

I was ready to give him a firm yes until I saw the review citing the ERR99 and realized that was his camera's failure mode with the shutter failing. Any advise is appreciated.
ponton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 20, 2004, 2:38 AM   #2

If canon send back a new one then go for it, IMHO. otherwise offer $700.00 he can only say no, but he might say yes.

I'm also concerned about this 10K problem, I have a 3 year warranty on mine and I'll be well past 10K by then so we'll see what happens.

If mine does fail I will certainly post the info on this forum so we can get an idea of how many fail at this point. I have heard however that many users have gone past the 10k point and still shooting without problems, so it may just be some dodgy ones get through now and again and some unlucky buggers get them. Hope I'm not one.:-)

cheers

Mart.
mf_blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2004, 12:12 PM   #3

Thanks! I figured if a new one is sent to him, it is something I should not pass up.

When you say offer $700 (if it is just repaired) do you realize that it comes with three lenses and a 512 CF card? Or were you thinking body only? (I'm just making sure since my post was so long and wordy!)

If you're thinking $700 for it all, I'll just pass rather than ask him to lower the price. He's a pretty close friend, and he can get his full price from 2-3 others that are in line for it. I feel thankful enough he's given me first shot at it.

After all I have read on this camera, if I don't get it, I'll probably get a dSLR eventually. Everything I have read on them vs the "pro-sumer" point and shoots is incredible!
Old Jun 20, 2004, 6:57 PM   #4

Ponton

You said he had a expensive warranty with the camera. The extended warranty that I have on my DR can be transferred. Can the warranty he has be transferred. I know you can transfer Best Buy warranties.

Phil
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2004, 7:41 PM   #5

He got it at Wolf camera, and he paid a lot extra for their warranty that quote "covers it if a truck runs over it." Then he rolled his eyes. (sounds like the warranty I had on my camcorder at BestBuy)

He said without that warranty, he'd be paying labor on this repair (Canon warranty would onlybe covering the parts at this point). He is checking to see if it is transferable. He said if it is not, he'd be willing to keep it in his name and let me renew it through him. He only got the ESP warranty for one year, and it will expire in a few months. Renewal is $150. Hmmm.
Old Jun 20, 2004, 10:48 PM   #6

I would wait for the camera to come back from Canon. Canon will repair the camera and do a through inspection before they return the camera. I doubt that they will exchange it for a new camera. I woul not pay $150 for any warranty.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2004, 12:15 AM   #7

I would go for it. Canon has sold so many of these bodies. I cannot believe all the complaints I've seen represent even 1% of all Digital Rebels purchased since it came out, especially when used with 100% Canon brand equipment. Obviously from your story it does happen with all-Canon stuff, but by and large the problems appears to happen with non-Canon lenses.

It will be interesting to see what my experience will be. Mine (bought in January) has just over 8,600 clicks on it. We'll see what happens. I fully expect to get at least 3 years, or approximately 50,000 cycles on mine- maybe somewhat more or less. If not, that's why I am keeping my EOS 3 and still shooting and scanning film as well as working with the D-Rebel. I bought my Digital Rebel with (unexpected) bonus proceeds. Under normal circumstances I cannot afford $1,000 every year on a new digital camera, so if mine fails before its' time I will have to be satisfied with film only until I can eventually gather up the funds to replace it with another digital SLR- I've tried the digicam route. No Thanks.

My girlfriend purchased a $1,500 television around 10 years ago. I found out last week she's dutifully been paying Circut City around $200 a year for some "replacement" warranty, meaning she's now paid for the darn thing twice, now working on the third time.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2004, 12:21 AM   #8

Thank you for the replies. I'll follow-up as soon as I learn more.