Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 23, 2004, 9:59 AM   #1

I have a G3 and so far Im really happy with it with exception of photographing birds. I find that to get the shots I like I have to crop in a fair bit. I would not mind this if I could actually see what the bird is doing a little better. Today I looked at a canon slr EOS I think. With a 300 lens attached, Wow what a wonderful camera. The cost is the only problem. Im looking at getting one in the future. What I would miss is the swivel lens that I have on the G3 which is great for waist height type photos.

What I want to know is, apart from the zoom lenses, what other things are better about the SLR? Do you still shoot through the viewfinder only? Will i find a CanonSLR worth the money? I do shoot a lot of close ups. And last of all, can a G3 style digital camera produce as good a photo as the SLR if it has more mega pixels?
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 23, 2004, 10:20 AM   #2

What is better about an SLR? Well, let's see...

An SLR is actually able to focus (and fast)in low light indoors, even if zoomed to the tele-end of the lens range. You'll wonder why you ever tried using a digicam the first time you see the difference an SLR makes indoors in low light.

You don't have to utilize some low contrast LCD to be seeing "through the lens", so at eye level you don't have theparallax error like you have when viewing through the G3's optical viewfinder, and holding the camera up to your face is a better way to hold the camera steady. Obviously, this is great for closeups. SLR's do not allow you to use the LCD to view due to the mirror mechanism, meaning you do not have the ability to shoot movies...no big deal.

You can buy and mount many, many lenses made for the camera mount.

The much larger imaging sensor means you'll actually be able to shoot at ISO's faster than 100 and have very low noise images. At ISO 200 through 800an image produced by an SLR is going to be superior to anything taken with a digicam. At ISO 100 or 50 the two types of cameras are very close in image quality.

Of course, your G3 is much more compact andtakes great images at ISO 50 or 100 if you can live at those low ratings. I was recently shooting with a G5 in addition to my SLR's. They are great cameras, but limited in not being great action shooters (you can do it, but it takes practice)and not being able to go much above ISO 100 without getting a little grainy. If you can live with the added bulk of an SLR you'll seeall those disadvantages of the G3 disappear.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2004, 11:16 AM   #3

I dont think of any of the cameras Ive looked at arebulky, due to years of carting a fully manual Zenit and lenses around:-) Well I guess Im gonna have to start saving. Do you think once I get the SLR I can be satisfied:-), I mean there seems to be some new beaut camera coming out every other week thats going to be better than the one you have just brought.
Old Jun 23, 2004, 11:30 AM   #4

see my post in the general section
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2004, 12:34 PM   #5

There is always some new beaut camera as you say but I think a Canon digital SLR will keep you happy for years especially as you slowly acquire lenses and accessories to enhance its already considerable capabilities.
geoff.rio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2004, 1:01 PM   #6

I had someone make this comment to my wife when I purchased my D70: "Once you make the investment in lenses, you will keep those for 20 years. Yes, SLR bodies and their features do change but not at near the rate of the cameras most people are purchasing."

Canon G3 (which I still have) was released in October 2002, then came the G5 in June 2003, and now the Pro1 April 2004. Other "compact" cameras seen to have similar product cycles.

Now, the Canon 10D has been out since March 2003and selling well; the Nikon D100 has been out going on 2 years now and is still selling well. So what if Canon or Nikon release a new body, you still have your lenses to use which is where the real investment is.
dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2004, 5:41 AM   #7

thanks, I took the leap and just purchased one:-)