Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 25, 2004, 1:41 PM   #1

Hey folks,

After much thought, consideration and hands on testing, decided to sell the DRebel, and bought the 10D. Yes, I know that the 10D is likely outta the Canon lineup near the end of the year, but it was the right thing to do for me. And yes, I'm aware of the hacks, but there were other considerations:

1) Durability -- clearly the 10D is more durable than the Rebel. This is not to say that the Rebel is fragile, but I've been taking many many more shots than I thought (3500 in the past two months, for example) and I know that the Rebel will not last.

2) User interface -- two dials. Love the rear thumb dial. Easier to switch ISO, Drive Mode, WB.

3) LCD shows more info -- not the one in the back, the one by the shutter. I like it better than the DRebel's, and it will show things like FEC or Focus Mode, which the Hacked Rebel will not. (and at the moment the AI Servo doesn't work with the Hack).

4) Viewfinder -- I find the viewfinder better than on the DRebel -- brighter IMHO.

5) Larger Buffer -- makes a huge difference to me. I've been caught on many occasions missing a shot (like at a friend's wedding last week during the procession -- don't worry, I wasn't the paid photog, just taking shots for myself) because I had to wait for the buffer to flush.

Thing is, all that really happened is that I bought the camera I should have bought in the first place. The DRebel is a fantastic camera, and I'm not expecting to see any improvement in picture quality. It is simply peace of mind with durability, and more enjoyment from the improved user interface.

So far, have only had a brief chance to try it out. But I've been VERY pleased so far.

Graeme

P.S. Before you ask, didn't even consider a move to the D70 because I already have 2 L lenses and 1 fast sigma prime for the Canon. Plus the 550EX.
Graeme Shiomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 25, 2004, 11:42 PM   #2

The usual comment on this forum is to stick with the camera brand you have the lenses for. They are so close to the same feature-wise that it isn't worth selling your equipment for.

#2 and #5 are the reasons I would have purchased the 10D. Of course, I got the 10D before the DRebel came out. But I'd like to think I would have purchased it any ways. I take advantage of those features every time out.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2004, 12:44 AM   #3

Interesting timing. I was in the local camera shop today, played with the 10D and bought it. Obviously, could have bought it cheaper mail order, but...well, I have the camera in hand now and got a fair deal on it. Now I need to sell my Rebel and all the accessories I have for it.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2004, 5:36 AM   #4

The DRebel / 300D is a great, ground-breaking camera which makes DSLR's affordable to many people for the first time. Many, I hope, will find it satisfactory for a long time. Many will also find it to be excessive / too complicated / expensive with lenses, sell their kits, and move to P&S's / etc. as they perhapsshould have in the first place. But most of us here will probably go on to another Canon DSLR body down the road -- it's merely a question of whether it's the 10D now, a 10D II in the fall if one comes out, a reduced price IDMk II when its competitors come out, etc., etc.

I know that I can do better right now, but I'm happily waiting to see what comes down the line, so that it's much better, not just a little better. The DRebel is a very nice camera. The 10D is better, but the DRebel is pretty close, esp with the 3rd-party firmware.
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2004, 10:05 AM   #5

ohenry,

That is a coincidence! Actually, what really pushed me into really thinking about this was when I was looking at lenses a few weeks ago. I wanted to check out the zoom on a lens, and they only had a 10D body out on display. While trying out the lens with the 10D...well...suddenly they weren't selling me on the lens, but on the 10D.

I hear you on the accessories. Already sold the battery-grip, but the remote switch also has to go. And, of course, the 10D grip and remote switch are both more $$ than the rebel versions. *sigh*

Graeme
Old Jun 27, 2004, 7:17 AM   #6

I would love to have a 10D BUT right now the cost is the biggest factor. Due to that I bought a Rebel and have been very happy with it so far. How long will it last, I don't know, probably not as long as I would like I have a bad habit of taking it to fires when I responde as a fire fighter. I do plan to upgrade within a year or so with another Canon hopefully what ever replaces the 10D but I will not sell my Rebel. It will still be used as a back up.

The only other thing I can say is have fun with your new camera and I am green with envy.
k1par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2004, 1:05 PM   #7

The Rebel is a fantastic camera that, had the opportunity to upgrade not arose, I would have been completely happy to use for the long haul. But based upon the situation, and the opportunity, it didn't make sense for me not to upgrade. I was able to snag a good deal, plus get quite a bit of $$ for my Rebel, which combined to a "can't pass up" situation.

Graeme