Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 27, 2004, 1:26 PM   #1

Seeing as I have been reading this web site since 2000 (especially the review section), what might have caused me to come out and post for the very first time?

I just bought a very cheap Samyang f8 500mm lens that I saw collecting dust in the local photo shop. It was buried under lots of other goodies. For the price, I figured I could not go wrong, although I previously had researched the lens a year ago on the Internet, and knew that a lot of people either hated the thing, or wished they had not bought it in the first place.

Several days ago, I had the opportunity to try it out. Well, it seems that there is nothing wrong with this lens! It is fairly sharp, light weight, and easy to carry in the field. Furthermore, it works very well in manual mode with the digital rebel.

Here is a picture I took today with my DRebel and the Samyang mirror lens. No post processing other then auto leveling using Microsoft Picture It Platinum Pro.

I think I just bought the cheapest fun I have had in photography in some years now.
Attached Images

Chako is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 1, 2004, 8:12 PM   #2

Hey, great shot. I shoot the same lens on my rebel. I think a lot of the beef comes from people spoiled by autofocas. I use the lens a lot and even shoot at ISO 800. Mine was given to me by a dissatified user. I use it for wildlife and some macro. I am also considering the Samyang 100-400 lens for $200.
DX6490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2004, 9:46 PM   #3

Hi guys Ive been experimenting with a 500 mm Quantaray mirror lens that I rescued from a pawn shop for 50 bucks.So far its excellent.All I had to do was buy a t adapter for my D300.

Dale
daler63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2004, 11:22 PM   #4

I like the lens. I know its cheap, but I wasn't expecting the fairly good results from it.
Old Jul 4, 2004, 9:22 PM   #5

What has surprised me is how little problem I have had from the ring shaped out of focus highlights. Part of it is that they only show when there is a specular hihhlight that is not too far out of focus. With soft light and a great deal of difference between the subject and the out of focus areas, the blur looks pretty normal. Mine is a Sigma 600 (eBay used) on Digital Rebel.

Doug
dougsmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2004, 10:28 PM   #6

What is a mirror lense?
iblaineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2004, 11:03 PM   #7

http://www.photo.net/learn/optics/mirrors/

This link explains it pretty well. I would definitely recommend getting one with a tripod mount. I have not seen one without but the Tamron reviewed on this page lacked it and you do need one (IMO).
dougsmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2004, 6:35 AM   #8

I agree dougsmit. In all the shots I have taken, only had a few that showed doughnuts from background highlights.

Here is an example.
Attached Images

Old Aug 24, 2004, 5:23 PM   #9

Sorry folks, but in my humble opinion, none of the pictures posted are at all sharp.

I would be most dissatisfied with these results, whatever the cost of the lens, as the pictureswould beliterally of no use to me.

Ken from the UK
ken from the uk is offline   Reply With Quote