Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 1, 2004, 6:19 PM   #11

THe IBM microdireve works fine with Canon Rebel or the 10D, infact, it faster than the standard Sandisk CF and the PNY CF. You have to hanle it with care since it has moving parts. On the other side, I have 5 Sandisk and PNY CF cards, they went through my washer and dryers 5 times, stillworks and show no sight of any damage.

I carry the 1 gig microdrive, two 512 CF cards for back up and the Smartdisks Flashtrax 40 gig portable HDD for every shooting trips.

Cheers
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2004, 1:45 PM   #12

I use 2 - 512's, 2-256's and my really OLD 128 just in case. SanDisk by the way.

The 128 started out in my Kodak 260 about 6 years ago and has never failed yet.

DON'T DELETE - reformat in your camera !!!!!!
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2004, 8:37 PM   #13

Setiprime:

Is it dangerous to just delete the pics on the card with windows, then use the windows eject command, remove the card and slap it into the camera and use it?

I've been doing this with no problem, but if you've had trouble with windows corrupting the format of the CF card, inquiring minds want to know!

Thanks!

Charles

r1derbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2004, 6:26 AM   #14

There should be no problem. I have been doing that for years, withnarry a problem. The only time I had a compact flash failure was due to mechanical faults, such as stepping on them, etc...
Chako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2004, 8:04 AM   #15

r1derbike wrote:
Quote:
Setiprime:

Is it dangerous to just delete the pics on the card with windows, then use the windows eject command, remove the card and slap it into the camera and use it?

I've been doing this with no problem, but if you've had trouble with windows corrupting the format of the CF card, inquiring minds want to know!

Dangerous? No, but this method does lead to fragmented files which can cause slight problems. Just like your harddrive benefits from occassional defragmenting, your CF card will benefit from being reformatted. It only takes a few seconds in your camera to restore the file allocation table by formatting the card.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2004, 11:36 AM   #16
NHL

Our wise Henry here is quite correct, better to follow his advice!

Flash or microdrives are the same: the camera put a FAT table on the device with the additional complexity with flash in that their FAT table don't stay put in one place...

Everytime the camera takes a picture, it updates the FAT table as well. The problem with flash is that if the camera constantly performs Read/Erase/Write operations to 1 memory location (ie the FAT table) then its life is dramatically reduced. There's a wear-leveling algorithm in all flash which moves this FAT table around to different block inside the flash cell: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...m_id=52&page=2

... well Henry already commented on the additional complexity of fragmentation so you get the drift.

FORMAT!

BTW TuanOKC is also correct: Microdrives are faster than most flashes... unless one compares them to x40 or above and even then in the right camera the newer microdrives perform better too. http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...?cid=6007-6817

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote