Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 30, 2004, 12:23 AM   #1

I am new to the digital world and have a few questions if you guys have the time to answer.

I am getting ready to buy our first digital camera and we have selected the Canon EOS Digital Rebel. I have read quite a bit on this board and learned a lot but I havesome questions just to verify what I have read.

When I get this camera I know I need a card to go with it and I am just wanting to make sure that the Hitachi 2gb microdrive card will work with this camera. From what I have read it will work but I am just wanting to make sure before I shell out the money for it.

Also how easy is it to get the pictures to my computer with a microdirve compared to a flash card? I have read that a microdrive is easier than a flash card so I am just making sure.

I am planning on getting into picture takingand I have a newborn almost here as welland am wondering if this is to big of a drive to get for a first digital camera? Maybe I should just go with a flash card instead but it seems pointless since the prices are so close. I may be wrong so maybe some of you guys can set me straight on what kind of drive or cardto get.

I know you guys probably get tired of newbie posts but I am looking for some help from people that know what they are talking about.

Thanks

irishfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 30, 2004, 10:22 AM   #2

I have no experience on micro drives other then what I have read online. I do however, have experience with flashcards.

1) Both devices will be easy to download pictures to your computer. I use a card reader. The memory card is recognized as a drive, and is given its own drive letter. Transferring photos and files is very easy. Likewise, you can just hook up the camera to the computer for the same results.

2) I personally use 256 Meg flash cards. I will tell you why. I have had flash cards fail in the past. I would rather carry more smaller cards then one larger on. This way, in the field, if one does go on you, you haven't lost it all. Also, switching cards is a lot easier then loading film in a 35mm camera any day. Likewise, I own the Digital Rebel, and find that on its highest JPEG setting, I can cram 80 photos per 256 Meg flash card. Ask yourself how many photos you need to take in a sitting. A 512 card might be just the ticket....up to you.

text_editor.focus();

3) I do believe the camera will support all type II compact flash cards (all micro drives fit into this I believe). I have read though that the micro drives from Apple Ipod's won't work though...so I can't be 100% certain this drive will work. I think the Ipod's micro drives are different somehow at the hardware level (shrugs).

4) Once again, I am going only by what I have read. By their nature, micro drives are more fragile (moving parts), consume more energy to run, and are slower then compact flash cards. Now on compact flash cards, I have owned several different makes of flash cards. I have found a difference in using a faster compact flash card as to a slower cheaper compact flash card. I now use Sandisk Ultra 2s, and I have found that I can take 4 shots sequentially, wait a second, and take 4 more, etc. With the older slower compact flash cards, I would have to wait longer in between, and eventually, would get fewer and fewer shots afterwards, and the compact flash card gets hit hard from the buffer memory downloading data to it.

Hope this info helps you...

EDIT: Found out I had butter instead of buffer..lol.

Chako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2004, 11:28 AM   #3

I have the microdrive as you have described and have no problems transferring pictures. I have used the camera and a card reader to transfer photos. The advantage for the fastest transfer may be the higher speed CF cards if you have a firewire or USB card reader.

I use both CF and the microdrive. I would not consider any CF card under 512mb.

gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2004, 11:41 AM   #4

I have two Sandisk 256MB flash cards and a card reader. I decied to get two 256MB cards instead of one 512MB card as when one fills up I can have it start downloading the images to my laptops while I shoot with the other card. I would have gone with two 512MB cards if I had the money at that time. I shoot almost 100% in RAW mode as I like the post processing ability of RAW vs JPEG. In RAW I can cram about 33-37 pictures on one 256MB card.

Memory cards are something that you can always get later and I would agree that having more cards is better than having one very large card (don't put all your eggs in one basket theme.)
choeschen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2004, 1:26 PM   #5

Thanks for the information and your time everyone.:|
irishfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2004, 3:46 PM   #6

From what I know of digital cameras the moor storage the better.

Hey gibsonpd3620 I have a more question about the microdives to. Is the micro drive any slower at taking pictures than the faster CF cards? The transfer rate listed in the specs is a lot lower than the 45X cards that are now out. and with a faster write speed on the card wouldnt that enable lower cycle times between shots?
VictorEM83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2004, 4:04 PM   #7

The transfer rate will not be as fast as the 45X CF cards. It was free to me from a friend. He bought a different digital that could not use CF cards. He gave me several cards one of which was the 1GB microdrive. One man's treasure is another man's trash.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2004, 5:03 PM   #8

If your planing on doing sports, the Digital Rebel performs better with faster memory cards. As I stated in my previous post, slow memory cards can't download the information fast enough, causing the camera's buffer to fill up quickly. It is a bottle neck. I found that with 4X flash cards (my older cards), I would be able to take 4 sequential photos, wait a second, then take several more. Afterward, I would have to wait longer as the buffer emptied itself into the storage card. It would eventually peter down to taking 1 shot every few seconds, forcing the camera to take shots as fast as it could.

With the Sandisk Ultra2s (other fast flashcards should perform the same), I can take 4 sequential shots, wait a second, take4 more, wait a second, take another 4 more, etc.

Chako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2004, 6:13 PM   #9

Thats great to know the 45X transcend card I got will help me get fsater shots in, from what I have read the Transcend gets about 6MB per sec transfer rate where the Sandisk Ultra 2 get a 9MB per second

I wanted a 1 GB Lexar 80X card but I didnt have the money, it most likey will be my next card if I dont get a micro drive from a Nomand MuVo for my little brother with 512MB of memory it would be a nice little present.
VictorEM83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2004, 6:53 PM   #10

I have 2 Transcend 45X cards and they work great with the Canon dSLR's
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote