Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 30, 2004, 1:33 PM   #11

Recharging the 300D's battery from empty takes about 90 minutes to 2 hours. Can't remember exactly, but a full charge will do you for at least 300 shots with a flash, more without.

You can get third party batteries for fairly cheap. I bought some from www.sterlingtek.com for $12 each.

Graeme
Graeme Shiomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2004, 4:40 PM   #12

I searched back through my old posts (now that I have more time) and foundthe wedding shot checklist. It's probably more than you want, but its a great starting place:

Graeme Shiomisays, not many will be what I (and maybe your sister) will call "Wedding grade". Since I assume you aren't going to back out (that would be kinda rude) hopefully all of this plus a lot of hard work on your part will get you enough good shots that things turn out well.

And its very good to hear that there are others that will be shooting at the wedding. That will help a lot.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2004, 11:43 PM   #13

I havent had a chance to get a sit down with my sister yet. I going down to my dads house tomorrow to talk with my sisters mom about the pictures.

Once I get the camera I am going to start taking tons of photos in different lighting and try to get good with what I got.

I am not going to let them know about the DRebel for the fact I dont want them to think I am a pro, but let them think I am taking a few one time use cameras and my older sony a 3x zoom 3.34 mp camera with one with the 64 meg stick, I said I may buy a larger stick for the wedding, so they were expecting me to get 20 maybe 40 digital shot and 30-60 normal shots.

Update: I called my sister and let her know about my worries about helping get he wedding photos, she said beacuse I am doing the music that she really only wanted me to do the posed for shots after the wedding(most likey the easiest), and a some during it(the hard ones to get).

I am worried about the posed for photos with black tuxes and white dresses from what I have read it can be tricky based off of the focus points. when I get my camera I will start doing test shots of this to learn about it and I will be looking for your help, I got 6 different thread on wedding photots I am reading so I got lots of help from you guys thanks!
VictorEM83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2004, 2:00 AM   #14

Damn, the links are gone. I posted 3 links in my last post. Damn. Damn, damn.

Well, here they are again. This is a nice checklist of shots to get:

http://my.bridestuff.com/checklist/photo_checklist.asp

This is an faq about amature wedding photograhy.

http://www.koskiphotography.com/amateur.html

This is a link to one of the threads here about wedding photography.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...hlight=wedding

Do practice the shots with people wearing black& white side by side. You're right, it isn't easy.

Keep at it and good luck.

Eric

Old Jul 1, 2004, 2:53 AM   #15

As far as doing practice shots of black and white in the same exoposure, I bought a 'calibration target' that has pure black, gray, and pure whitebands.The target folds/collapses like a reflector. You take a oic, look at your histogram, then adjust your exposure/lightingand take another pic. You can also use the white back of the target to set color balance. I paid $100 for my target, but now they'vegot a smaller 'poket size' model for about half the price.

http://photovisionvideo.com/target.html

DigitalNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2004, 9:26 AM   #16

eric s wrote:
Quote:
Damn, the links are gone. I posted 3 links in my last post. Damn. Damn, darn.

Well, here they are again. This is a nice checklist of shots to get:

http://my.bridestuff.com/checklist/photo_checklist.asp

This is an faq about amature wedding photograhy.

http://www.koskiphotography.com/amateur.html

This is a link to one of the threads here about wedding photography.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...hlight=wedding

Do practice the shots with people wearing black& white side by side. You're right, it isn't easy.

Keep at it and good luck.

Eric

Damn Eric! I could have used this list about a month ago. My wife volunteered meto shoot a wedding for her best friend's daughter (she went as far as to include the cost of the prints for their album as part of their gift. I figure this gift will cost meat least$300 between the prints and my time). I had two weeks to really learn and get comfortable from the time I got my D70 until we left for vacation and the wedding, which was the day after we got home.

The shots from the wedding are at http://www.pbase.com/digitaldad/r_m_wedding

See this forum post about why some of the shots were taken in the manner that the were: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...amp;forum_id=5
dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2004, 12:12 PM   #17

Some awesome advice here.

I found myself in somewhat the same situationabout 10 years ago. My cousin was getting married, and she was 800 KM away. I decided to pack a camera kitalong to take some personalmementos. They found out I had some gear on me, and decided right then and there that I was going to take some photos to supplement the photographer they hired. I found out that they could only afford black and white, and wanted dearly to get colour, and thus I was enrolled on the spot.

I never did enjoy the wedding, as I don't recall much of it, exceptwhatlittle I remember seeing through the viewfinder.

I did talk to the official hired photographer beforehand though, and we sort of worked together so I would not get in his way. Stuff like waiting for his flash or mine to pop so we wouldn't overexpose our shots....

I shot about15 roles of film, and they seemed quite pleased with the results. They ended up making two photo albums, one black and white, and the other colour. Come to think of it, I gave them a real wonderful present for their marriage.

If I was the only one taking pictures, the stress would have been phenominal.

Chako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2004, 1:14 PM   #18

Great news I called around and my dad is renting me a extra lens for 2 days maybe 3!

now I got to make a decision a Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Autofocus Lens, or something else that cost less per day, almost anything cuz thats the best lens they rent out. any sugestions guys?

Oh ya they dont have it with IS I was kinda hoping for that.

I am going up to the place where the recption is going to be in 2 weeks, and also hopefully the church to take test photos with the stock lens to give you guys some ideas for the best lens for me to rent, I think this will help out a lot. plus I will be renting a extra flash and I am going to practice with it for 2 days before the wedding one with the stock lens and one with the rented lens to get the timings right.

Aslo I order 2 extra batteries thanks to the links from you guys it was the 1300 mah ones from http://www.sterlingtek.com/.
VictorEM83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2004, 10:27 AM   #19

Victor-

I like your Gutsy spirit - and the steps you have taken

I'm sure you will do just fine !!
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2004, 12:21 PM   #20

1300mAh batteries are very good. Each one should last you over 400 pictures. So that will help a lot. (You could probably get away with only one spare, but why create the stress? Just make sure you charge them the day before the wedding! Heck, you might want to make a checklist of things to do.)

That you are going to the church and reception location is really good. I am happy to hear you're doing that (show's you're taking is seriously and you'll learn a lot by doing it.) If you can go at a similar time of day to the wedding would be very helpful. Then you can see where the light is coming from and figure out where to do certain staged shots. If you could go with the bride that would be even better. They you can walk around and go "look, the sun is coming from over there, so if we could do the shots between the wedding and the reception right against that lovely background that would be great. Get her to stand at the location, take the picture and show it to her "do you like this? See how X works?" It will make you feel more comfortable when you actually shoot the wedding.

The 80-200L is a very good lens, so I'm not surprised that it's the most expensive they rent (if its a big enough shop, they probably rent 400 f4, 500 f4, & 600 f4, which will go for more per day, but that is another matter.)

Just to be clear, what lenses do you have now? Only the kit lens, right? My fear is that you have a large gap in your focal length range. You'll have a 18–55mm f/3.5–5.6 and 80-200. I fear that gap could be a popular range. So here are my thoughts. You'll have to figure out what is important to you. That they don't have the IS version is not good. You might want to ask if they have any IS lenses, as it will really save your bacon. I know it saves mine! If they had the IS version, I'd basically say rent it.

HOLD IT. This is a reedit of my post here. I just saw on a lens review site that there is no IS version of the 80-200. If they took you literally (instead of being helpful) at that camera shop then they wouldn't have told you that it's the 70-200 f2.8 IS USM that has IS. Note it starts at 70 to 80. My fault. You might want to contact them again. That is an even better lens than the 80-200!

The 70-200 will let you get shots that are more candid… more distant shots. The flower girl's face as she walks the aisle. The bride's face when she rests her head on her Dad's shoulder during the first dance. The groom kneeling to tie the shoe of a young kid. The type of shot you see across the way and you think "I have only a few seconds and that is so cute." The bride talking to her mom in the corner… the quiet moment off to the side where you don't want to intrude. But are those the most important shot? No. And others might get them (as you said, others will be there with cameras.)

While the kit lens isn't bad, it isn't "wedding caliber". So another possibility would be to rent something like the 17-40L f4. It's a very high quality lens (I've got it and I feel guilty that I don't use it as often as I should.) If you have two friends who would help (parents? Roommates?) get them to stand up near a wall, any wall, and look at where you'd stand (how far back) for a reasonable portrait of them. Then look at the focal length you used. If it's within the 17-40 range, you might consider it. That lens should be cheaper, so this might let you rent another lens (maybe the 50 f1.8? If you can't buy it) or help you buy extra batteries for that flash. Another huge advantage of the 17-40 is that it will let you use a high quality lens for the group shots (don't forget that even a reasonable sounding lens like the really good 24-70 isn't really that wide after the 1.6x crop factor comes in.) That is a good lens (very good) but it isn't that wide, so you'd have to depend on the kit lens for the group shots (which might or might not work. I truly don't know.)

Before you go out of your way to get the flash (rent/buy) make sure you are allowed to use it in the places where it matters. If you want one any ways (they are handy, I have one) then just get it. But you'll want extra batteries. Flashes eat batteries like kids eat chocolate.

As a side note, you might want to buy the 50mm f1.8. Its around $60, so its fairly cheap for a lens. Its very large aperture will let you get indoor shots that you would never get without a flash. And you should find out where you can and can't use a flash. Ask whoever is marrying them what is ok where. Don't worry about the cost, though, it's a very good lens. The AF is a bit slow, but it's very sharp with little color balance issues.

I hope I'm not driving you away with all this info. They are just things that came to mind. Weddings are very serious once-in-a-lifetime things (rated up there with "birth of first child" as the most important event in a person's life.) So I feel that any help I can give will make their day go better.. and having a good wedding is a great thing.

I've heard a few stories like how the wedding photographer got enamored with a brides maid 1/2 way through the wedding and stopped taking pictures of anyone but her. Or how there was only one picture of the groom and no shots of the bride's mother. Things like that… where all the wedding pictures are hidden and never talked about. And I find that so sad, especially for the money most wedding photographer's charge. It's just wrong.

Eric

Ps. Oh ya. You might want to find some professional wedding photographers on the web and look at their shots. Look at the poses and locations. See what looks good (heck, do it with the bride!) You won't have the experience to realize that a bush will look bad in the background of a formal shot… stuff like that. What I would suggest is going here:
http://www.digitalweddingforum.com/ubbthreads/
or
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/board/48

And look at the home pages of the people & businesses that post there.