Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 5, 2004, 5:18 PM   #1

My canon rebel seems to have inconsistant metering. Thus shooting the same scene in the shutter priority mode it will set the apature the same twice and then go to a different setting even tho nothing has changed in the lighting. Is this a comon problem?

In general, the camera seems to take pictures that are slightly underexposed.
TParr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 5, 2004, 8:50 PM   #2

What does it change the aperture to? Are you shooting in controlled lighting situations (i.e. indoors or in a studio)?

It doesn't take much of a change of light to change the metering.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2004, 12:58 AM   #3

I placed it on a tripod outside and shot the exact same area of my backyard. It would be the same setting 3 out of 4 times and when it changed, it is always dark. I may have solved the problem by changing the focusing point to a single point rather than the 7 points that is the regular way. In the idiot modes, you don't have the choice of focus points thus you get many pictures that are too dark. I am concerned that the metering system is not working properly. When you call Canon, you get a "tech" that knows little or nothing about photography or the camera.

Thanks for the response.

I'd be interested if anyone else with a Rebel is finding their pictures underexposed.
TParr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2004, 6:14 AM   #4
NHL

TParr wrote:
Quote:
I may have solved the problem by changing the focusing point to a single point rather than the 7 points that is the regular way. In the idiot modes, you don't have the choice of focus points thus you get many pictures that are too dark. I am concerned that the metering system is not working properly...
You've just answered your own question, the DRebel (like the 10D) will biais its metering toward an AF point that the camera decided to pick (the one that lighted up). If this AF point landed on a bright area you'll get an underexposure, and if it happened to be a dark spot you'llend up with an overexposure instead... It just how the camera works.

You can also press the AE * lock button to force the camera to meter the cenral area only when in the "idiot" modes or creative zones ...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2004, 8:10 AM   #5

:sad::evil:its the similar problem which I lived.I gave back my rebel just because of this silly problem as some of you know.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=37

and now I m very happy with my D70.it always take correct shots in everyconditions everytime and everywhere.No more inconsistent shots.
civil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2004, 8:55 AM   #6

Personally, I find some of the design choices in the DRebel odd. I know they wanted to make it different than the 10D, but some of their choices seem to be bad ones to me.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2004, 9:13 PM   #7

NHL: I'm interested in the AE lock option you describedon the 300d. I thought this was available ONLY in the manual mode, not Av, or what I shoot primarily, shutter priority(Tv). Since I shoot fast moving subjects (my son's sports and one really energetic dog named Stella) I use Tv most of the time. I also use the center point focus almost exclusively as it seemed that too often the camerachose a different focus point than what Ihad in mind. I've found that in doing so , especially shooting dark subjects in snow, the metering seemed to be off. Is it true that I can center weight it in Tv? One option would be to learnhow to use the manual mode and then I believe I can center weight the metering? BTW, I really like the 500DG Super vs. my old 420ex. Thanks for that bit of advice as well. gary
tuthill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2004, 11:28 PM   #8
NHL

tuthill wrote:
Quote:
NHL: I'm interested in the AE lock option you described on the 300d. I thought this was available ONLY in the manual mode, not Av, or what I shoot primarily, shutter priority (Tv)...
Yes, it works in Tv too: Check the Function Availability Table on page 122 of your manual: the * AE lock changes the evaluative metering (based on the AF) in any of the Creative Zone, ie P, Tv, Av or A-Dep to Partial metering. Partial metering selects the center 9% of the screen regardless of any AF point.
In the Manual mode the * AE lock button overides this mode Centerweighted metering to Partial metering instead...

The same * AE lock button becomes FEL lock when the flash is turned on. It changes the metering the same way, but works with flash instead

... BTW you can basically locks the AF using the shutter release, and * AE locks the exposure reading indepently from one another, especially when the subject and exposure reading are not located on the same position!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2004, 9:08 PM   #9

I agree, I have the Drebel and 420Ex. I hate this combination. Maybe I would have better success with the Sigma 500DG Super. I recently purchased a pair of Alien Bee AB800 studio strobes and a sekonic light meter. I can get perfect shots every time now. But the on camera flashes are terrible with moving objects.

With what I know about lighting now, I would definately go with a manual flash and set everything manual camera and flash. I would meter the flash to get an idea of what aperture to set at various distances. Shutter speed at 60-100 aperture at 5.6 -8 then set flash power for distance. to target.

Use LCD or histogram to see sample shot and readjust.
minutephotos.com is offline   Reply With Quote