Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 11, 2004, 8:04 PM   #1

I've got the Rebel out for a 30 day try. Took some pictures this weekend at a family reunion and noticed the following (is this the camera or something I've done). BTW - I have used mechanical slrs for years - this is my first try with a digital.

Took 77 pictures -- this morning I downloaded them to my computer using the computer's card reader. Software is HP brandthat came with my hp PSC 1350xi printer.

I noticed these two major problems:

First, the flash exposure seemed to be off onmany (if not all)of the flash pictures. These were taken using full auto or full auto portrait; all at highest resolution. They were either over-exposed or under-exposed but all gave the skin tones a strong red tint. I'm learning how to use the camera but my wife will use it primarily as a simple point and shoot. Are a lot of twicks needed - if so - this may not be the camera for her.

Second, I find this very troubling. I used the hp software to try to adjust and correct some problems. Often I was pretty successful - Less so with the red tint. I cropped three of the photos (this is a 6 mp shot at highest resolution). The crop usedapproximately one third of the picture. AFTER the crop - especially with a light background - there are evenly spaced horizontal lines running through the picture. I test printed one and the lines were still there.

Bum Camera, Bum Photographer; Bum Software; all or anyof the above-- any ideas.

I would really appreciate your input.
RonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 11, 2004, 10:33 PM   #2

I have a Rebel and may have some tips for you. About the flash exposure, I wouldnt reccommend using the auto modes, I always use the Program mode, which is really the same as auto, but you can customize a lot more options if you want. Using the P mode, I would set the quality to RAW and then adjust the white balance later in the post processing.

As for your other problem, I think it maybe the software you are using, but I dont know for sure.
rob_strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2004, 4:12 AM   #3

Use P Mode, Download FECSet program off the net and set your flash to +1 or more. Then when taking flash pics use the FEC Lock procedure before taking the pic. You should get much better results. I find the reddish tint is because there's not enough flash normally. The full auto flah is useless in most situations, I don't use full auto at all now except for the sport mode. Which is quite good.

PS. Forgot to say, as far as the cropped pic is concerned I would say it's the software causing the lines, perhaps you're stretching the image too much and the software can't fill in the gaps correctly. Just a thought.

mf_blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2004, 1:22 PM   #4

Is my face red? :-)

Biggest problem with the red was the setting on my LCD computermonitor. LOLI'm getting too old for this.
RonE is offline   Reply With Quote