Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 12, 2004, 9:11 PM   #1

I'm a little new to this. For the first time, I experimented with the RAW capability with my new DRebel. Does anybody have any advice on the best method to transfer your RAW images unto your computer and retain the best quality? I will be using Photoshop CS to edit.

If someone has a link to a tutorial that would be great help.

Thanks

Sabertooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 12, 2004, 9:39 PM   #2

I'm assuming you're on a PC. To transfer the files, just go into My Computer and go to the drive where you got your camera or card reader. Highlight the files and copy them. Go to a folder on your hard drive where youwant them to beand paste them there. Photoshop CS will open the RAW files (assuming they are the same as a 10D, which I'm sure they are). It gives a dialog box where you can adjust the color balance, contrast, saturation, exposure, etc. I personally then save them as Photoshop files to retain quality.
Conquest10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2004, 10:26 PM   #3

Conquest10, I tried the instructions that you gave, but it gave me

Error copying File or F....

Access is denied.

I also tried to use the Canon Digital Camera File Viewer Utility, but it told me:

No application to transfer image has been specified.

I must be missing the boat on something. I'm new to this so please excuse my ignorance.

Old Jul 13, 2004, 12:27 PM   #4

Sabertooth, hwo are you transferring the file from your CF card. Are you using a CF card reader hooked to your PC or you have hooked up the camera directly to your PC. In both cases, you should see your CF card as a hard drive under windows explorer. Then it is just a matter of copying files from CF card to local hard drive. RAW files are just files like jpef files, as far as copying them is concerned.

I am using C1 (demo addition) to process my 10D raw files.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2004, 1:52 PM   #5

bobbyz

I'm hooked up directly to my camera through the USB port. I am seeing the camera as a device using My Computer, however if I click on the RAW image and try to copyit over to my hard drive it gives me the following error

Error copying File or F....

Access is denied.

Old Jul 13, 2004, 3:10 PM   #6

I am sorry if I am asking a dumb question, but have you installed the software that came with your camera? The computer on its own will not be able to understand the raw file from the camera, unless you open it up in photoshop or any of the Canon Utilities.

Do you see the raw files on your hard drive?
cyborg251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2004, 3:38 PM   #7

Cyborg251

I installed the Canon Digital Camera File Viewer Utility and Zoombrower, which came with the camera. Is there another piece of software that needs to be installed something pertaining to RAW images?

I cannot transfer the RAW files to my harddrive, however I can preview and view them through Canon Digital Camera File Viewer Utility but it just does not let me transfer them. It gives me this message in Canon Digital Camera File Viewer Utility.

No application to transfer image has been specified.

What application are they talking about? I have used Zoombrower before to transfer my .jpg off the camera.

Thanks for the help.

Old Jul 16, 2004, 6:46 AM   #8

Ey Sabertooth,

Try this if the pull-down menu is not dimmed.

Select your CRW image from the File Viewer Utitlity. Btw, I'm using a Mac and hope its the same command on a PC. Go to File menu and select the "Save File with a greater than triangle symbol" then select "Convert and save in file..." and woala! That's it dude.

Hope it works on you! :-)

dive
dive is offline   Reply With Quote